how to remove corupt or damage files?

Discussion in 'Software' started by mr techni, May 5, 2007.

1. mr techni

mr techni Private E-2

rolleyes hi there :wave
    i'm looking for a free software package that removes or replaces damage or corrupt files from my disc drive .
    to save me going through one by one confused

2. hopperdave2000

hopperdave2000 MajorGeek

You can try this: http://www.majorgeeks.com/Delete_Doctor_d4473.html to delete stubborn files upon rebooting the PC. As for repairing corrupt files, the only way to do that is to re-install the application. If you have corrupt Windows files, you can use the system file checker with your WinXP CD, or you can perform a repair re-install. To run the system file checker: put the XP disc in the CD drive. Click Exit when the window opens. Click Start > Run and type 'cmd' without the quotes. In the black window that opens, type 'sfc /purgecache' without quotes and press Enter. When that is finished, type 'sfc /scannow' and press Enter (again, no quotes). Keep clicking retry if the PC pops up any warnings.... then reboot...

hd2k

Last edited: May 5, 2007
  3. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

Run windows check disk utility, or better the manufacturers own disk check utility before you do anything else.

Studio T

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds