HOW TO: Remove Directory Restrictions in Recovery Console in Windows XP Pro

Discussion in 'Software' started by Adrynalyne, Jun 22, 2004.

1. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Anyone who has spent a little time in the recovery console knows that you are unable to copy files to a floppy, and unable to write to most directories.

This can be changed!

First you must enable a setting in the registry.

Go to start, run, and type:

regedit.exe

Click OK.

Note: Its advisable to backup your reigstry before making any changes with the registry editor.

Navigate to
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Setup\RecoveryConsole

Make sure the SetCommand value on the right is set to 1, in Hexidecimal. You cna modify this by double left clicking on SetCommand.

Now when you go to the Recovery Console, you ahve some new toys available.

These are new the set commands available now:

set AllowWildCards=TRUE <--This allows you to use wildcards in the recovery console.

set AllowAllPaths=TRUE <--This allows you read/write access to all files and directories.

set AllowRemovableMedia=TRUE <--This allows you to copy to a floppy drive.

set NoCopyPrompt=TRUE <--This makes it so you arent prompted when overwriting a file.

Screenshots to follow.

2. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Regedit shot:

3. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

I had plans for other screenshots as well, but Virtual PC 2004 is not playing nice.

This is one of the more straightforward HOW TOs, however.

4. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

This works in Windows 2000 as well. I've not tested it, but it should work in other flavors of Windows XP, too.

5. da chicken

da chicken MajorGeek

Keep in mind that you have to affect this change *before* you boot into the rcon, as you can't edit the registry from there.

That means that if your system breaks and you want to access other things in the rcon but you can't get into Windows proper, you're out of luck.

6. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Right. I should have mentioned that.

Thanks.

7. alanc

alanc MajorGeek

Observations and a question:

For those not comfortable with editing the registry, the same thing can be accomplished by setting a policy via gpedit.msc or secpol.msc (gpedit shown in screenshot). Double click on the highlighted policy and choose 'Enable' - this is in 2k, I'm assuming XP is the same.

For me the missing link was the 'set Allow...' commands - I had the above enabled but wasn't aware of those commands. Thanks Adryn :)

Regarding the registry key 'SecurityLevel' - does that correspond to the 'Allow automatic administrative logon' policy (one policy up in screenshot)?

Attached Files:

8. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Thanks alanc. You can definately do this through gpedit. However, the unfortunate souls with Windows XP Home must do it through the registry key.

9. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Good question. I'm in the process of finding out.

Going on pure assumption, I would say yes.

Edit: My KVM switch is broken at my desk. I'll have to check it when I get home.

10. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Yep! Same setting, alanc.

It changes the regkey to a (1).

11. alanc

alanc MajorGeek

Roger that, I suspected as much.

If anyone's wondering, that setting just lets you access the Recovery Console without typing in your Administrator password.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds