How to rename Windows 7 user name

Discussion in 'Software' started by Keyz, Nov 24, 2013.

1. Keyz

Keyz Private E-2

Windows 7 Home OS
    Bought laptop - my "ex" set it up for me, virtually naming it "tinknkeyz". I've since changed the name of the computer, the user name, but under my C:/Users is still a "tinknkeyz" folder, which is where all my stuff is.

It did have a little padlock beside it, but I managed to remove that. I created another user w/admin privies, named "temp". I logged in safe mode under "temp" and went to right click on "tinknkeyz" to rename it, but it says it's in use. So I found out it's being used by explorer.exe

I went into safe mode, brought up command prompt window, went to task manager to stop the explorer.exe process - went back to DOS window & typed REN C:\Users\tinknkeyz NoeBodyJones and it keeps telling me "access denied". :cry

Any further help? I really, really, really want this renamed!! Thanks!

2. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

The only way out of this is to create a new user account, otherwise you will find the old name popping up in some context even though you think you have changed it somewhere else. Make sure your personal files are shared and you shouldn't have too much difficulty.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds