How to replace CMOS in Solo 9550

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by miss-informed, Feb 10, 2007.

1. miss-informed

miss-informed Private E-2

I need to replace my CMOS battery in my Gateway Solo 9550 (Notebook).

I would appreciate if anyone either has instructions on how to do it - open chasis - find, etc. or a diagram of the inerds which would help me get in and replace the cmos.
    :cool

2. hopperdave2000

hopperdave2000 MajorGeek

Here's a couple of links: the first is directly to the Solo 9550 user manual (.PDF format). I didn't look thru all 322 pages but it may have the info you need. The 2nd link is to other documents available for the 9550... I'll do more research and see if I can find something of use. There are numerous sites that will sell the tech manuals and service manuals ( in .PDF's or on CD), but we're looking for free stuff, right? ;)

hopperdave2000
    The links:
    http://support.gateway.com/support/manlib/Notebooks/Solo9550/8508384/08384.pdf
    http://support.gateway.com/support/manlib/Notebooks/Solo9550/Solo9550.shtml

3. hopperdave2000

hopperdave2000 MajorGeek

I was just sittin' here thinkin'.............. alot of laptops (IBM's for example) have access to the CMOS battery thru either the RAM or hard drive compartment...open up these 2 spots and look for some little wires: one red, one black and try to see where they're going (a flashlite may be handy) or give them a VERY gentle tug and see if a CMOS battery pops out. DON'T pull too hard as you may break something. If you do see the red & blk wires, look at where they connect to the mobo: if it's labeled JBAT or BAT1 or JBT1 (you get the idea) then you know those are the wires......

4. miss-informed

miss-informed Private E-2

Hi Hopperdave2000 - and thank you for helping. Gateway is holding this info pretty close to the chest. I think they prefer I send the notebook to them and they will replace the $5. battery for $169.00 (Cretins).

The support docks do show how to add ram and change out the HD.... I may just
    have to open it up and search.

I did find a document on replacing the keyboard of the solo 9500 - which, i think, has the same chasis. the photos are rather vague, but I could almost swear that it looks like the cmos is in plain view when the keyboard is removed - right above where the keyboard connects....

If nothing else, i can get the keyboard off and clean all the food out <smirk>.

But do let me know if you find something! thanks

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds