How to reverse - Control Userpasswords 2

Discussion in 'Software' started by evilevets, May 20, 2005.

1. evilevets

evilevets Sergeant Major

XP Home, SP2

Kept presenting a "Unable to log on due to Account something or other..." But when you click OK to that, the login box would dissapear and it would sucsessfully boot to the desktop.

So I thought..."why not get rid of the login prompt altogether" So I did a Run-> Control Userpasswords 2. Then I rebooted and now it hangs right where the login box would normally appear!

So I basically killed it in an attempt to get rid of something that was only a minor annoyance.

Now what? How do I reverse this?

LKGC doesn't work, but I can get into Safe Mode.

Thanks in advance,

-Steve

2. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

ctrl-alt-del twice at the welcome screen. Log in with your account and then undo what ya did.

3. evilevets

evilevets Sergeant Major

Thanks Adryn

I did a System Restore, since I could get into Safe Mode.

But now for real question here, how do I get rid of the Logon Message:

"Unable to log you on because of an account restriction"

It apparently doesn't mean much, because when I OK it, everything is fine and it goes to the desktop.

My original thought was to get rid of the login prompt, and the login prompt error would go away. Apparently it didn't like the Control Userpasswords 2

So how do I safely get rid of the login prompt? XP is such a pain with managing user accounts. 2K was much better with that.

-Steve

4. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Go here:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon

Look for a value called Autoadminlogon.

Set it to 0, or delete it.

5. Lance Bombardier

Lance Bombardier Private First Class

Adrynalyne,

Worked for me, too. Exactly the same problem, used the "search" like a good boy (noticed, MA?) and it did the trick. Thanks

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds