How to run downloaded program when not administrator?

Discussion in 'Software' started by jjbarnum, Sep 22, 2007.

1. jjbarnum

jjbarnum Private E-2

Hi,

Wondering if anyone can help - I share a computer with other users but I am not an administrator of the PC. I am just a user with my own account.

Is it possible to download a software program and use it without being an administrator?

When I doenload the program it won't let me run it as I don't have administrator privileges, any way around this????

Thanks

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Nope, need admin to install it for you.

3. redpolenta@yahoo.com

redpolenta@yahoo.com Private E-2

I've ran a search and this is the closest thread i can find that somewhat matches my problem.

I'm having the same problem as below but except I am the system admin. It shows me on user accounts as computer admin but i cant load software. It tells me I dont have the correct privlages and to get the system admin to add it for me.

I've rebooted - added another account as system admin rebooted - switched accounts rebooted - and rebooted again. No matter what i try as system admin it wont allow me to add the software for a net gear wirless pci card -

i've done a few cards b4 but i have never run accross this problem. Is there a setting that resticts the system admin group or user or does xp home edition have some setting to restrict the administrator

Any help would be apreaciated.

Redpolenta

4. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

You should start your own thread rather than piggy backing an existing thread>
    However...open your browser and click on tools / internet options / security / and reset to default.

5. redpolenta@yahoo.com

Thank you for the advise on both the problem and forum procedure - i had thought the forum wanted to keep like and almost like problems going in the same thread.

Thanks again for all the information

Redpolenta

6. redpolenta@yahoo.com

thanks for the advise again however when i attempted it didn't work. could the home edition have any shortcommings when it comes to the admin accts

thanks

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds