how to safely open malicious programs in winxp

Discussion in 'Software' started by SirJYK, Sep 14, 2006.

1. SirJYK

SirJYK Private E-2

Is there a way to safely open suspect executables in win xp? I would rather not go dual boot and setup Linux to do this. However, everything I am coming up with points to using Linux as a very secure route.
    Thanks.

2. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Might be best to run a virus scan on the downloaded file before opening.

3. Ryanizer

Ryanizer Private E-2

I would recommend downloading the FREE Microsoft Virtual PC 2004 and set up a virtual machine to test the file with. I haven't tried it for this purpose yet, but from all indications, it will work. Make sure you use a virtual disk to completely isolate your filesystems!

4. SirJYK

SirJYK Private E-2

Thanks Tim

Ryan,
    I haven't used this before. Can you or anyone else give me a quick rundown on it?
    Thanks,

5. Ryanizer

Ryanizer Private E-2

Check out the official website for Virtual PC 2004: Link

Follow the link to the Demo, which is a handy flash presentation that sums it up pretty well. Link

Of course, download it from MajorGeeks! Link

6. SirJYK

SirJYK Private E-2

Ryanizer,
    Wow! Thanks for that. It appears to do what I need it to. And, it keeps me from setting up Linux!

7. matt.chugg

matt.chugg MajorGeek

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds