how to send photos

Discussion in 'Software' started by cf1, Feb 14, 2011.

1. cf1

cf1 Private E-2

can some one help me. im trying to send pictures of my garage door opener, on a do it yourself form. now i have no trouble doing this on email. but on this form it says insert image, when i click it on on get a window and message please enter the url of your image.. whats the url and how do i do this thanks..

2. Caliban

Caliban I don't need no steenkin' title!

Greetings, cf1.

The URL (Uniform Resource Locator) is the address of the file. If the file is located on the web, the URL would be something like http: //www.somewhere.com/images/image01.jpg, for example.

If it's a local file, the URL would be file:///C:/images/image01.jpg.

3. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

Easiest thing to do is get a free flickr account or similar service. I don't know the best service(I use flickr).

Then you upload the photos to the flickr site and each photo is assigned a URL that you can copy and put in the form on your website.

***I don't like the navigation of Flickr's site, I find it confusing to find the URL after uploading the photo but it does work. See if others have suggestions for photo sharing sites. [I see a lot of place holders(where the image has been removed) for imageshack so I would avoid that one unless someone who uses it can explain why those place holders seem so common.

4. cf1

cf1 Private E-2

why cant i just go to my computer picture file and send them. i can do it with email. i tryed uploading in photo bucket but afterwards theres no url to them. thanks

5. sach2

The site you are posting the guide to doesn't want to pay to host the files. So they are asking you to post them somewhere else and then post a link to them. It is cheaper for them that way.

I'm not familiar with photobucket. It looks like you can search by user. If you post your username then I'll try to find your photos and their URLs.

Or if you click on one of the photos at photobucket is the no link to share them?

6. cf1

cf1 Private E-2

my user cf1. and i need to post them on do it yourself .com

7. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

When you log into Photobucket, you should see all your photos in your album. If you hover your mouse over the photo, it will bring that photo out from the screen and you should be able to click on one of the links. I would suggest Direct Link. It will automatically copy it for you. (You should also be able to click on the photo, and the links will be on the right hand side of your screen).

Go to your website you are wanting to post it on and in the box you saw, right click and click on paste and enter (or done, or whatever it says). Once you've done that, your image should show up.

Just to add: If you are not seeing the links, go to the top right and click on your username and you will see a dropdown menu. Click on account settings > Album settings tab. Make sure you have 'Link Options' selected along with 'Direct Link' below it.

8. cf1

cf1 Private E-2

i will try , thanks

9. sach2

I signed up at photobucket but I couldn't find your photos. :(

Laura's tips should work. When I click My Album and the album opens then if I click on a picture all the links are directly below the picture. If you select direct link it will copy to your clipboard and then you can paste it at the DIY form.

10. cf1

cf1 Private E-2

i got the pictues sent.. thanks for all your help. ken

11. sach2

I'm glad you figured it out. :)

PhotoBucket seems slightly easier than Flickr to find the URL(s) to copy and paste.

I don't upload photos enough to say which is the best service but I have to say all the ones I have tried are confusing. It should be simpler.

DIY forums are great resources whether you are asking the question or answering it.

Kudos to you for taking the time to upload pics that can help someone else out in the future. :)

12. cf1

cf1 Private E-2

thanks again ken

13. Caliban

Caliban I don't need no steenkin' title!

Echo those sentiments - in fact, I just registered at DoItYourself.com. ;)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds