How to set monitor colors now that nvidia dropped their wizard

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by zapp, Jul 13, 2010.

1. zapp

zapp Staff Sergeant

old topic, but I'm in the weeds here. I was highly dependent on nvidia's gamma-setting wizard, but they dumped it! :cry
    i have seen a couple of websites where they have all these color bars to test your monitor, but I dunno how to use them.
    can anyone give me the short tutorial in this stuff? is "1.0" per color the line of reference, the default? my monitor looked so good before switching to windows 7 and reloading everything. now back to the ditch....

2. zapp

zapp Staff Sergeant

there's a complicating issue here which seems to be that nvidia's own control of the screen settings has to be stopped to handoff to any other utility. it doesn't work well. what happens is if another utility reaches for the controls, you get a sudden 'undo' of whatever nvidia thought it was doing with the monitor, so a big leap in terms of gamma, contrast, hue, saturation, etc. softpedia shows several utilities. 'quick gamma' seems to be the most powerful but i have been unable to match what they show as goodness.

3. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

Well, I went through setting the gamma when my CRT monitor was on its last legs. The 19" LCD's are at a great price these days, even the 20's. That's assuming you have an old CRT, however the backlight could be going dim on your LCD

4. zapp

zapp Staff Sergeant

no this one is new, 23" hdmi/dvi/etc
    it looked spectacular after setup with the old nvidia tool. why did they take it away.... why oh why. woe is us...

5. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

What can I say except to reinstall the old nVidia tool. Remove it in device manager, reboot and install the older one. See what happens. Newer drivers aren't always better.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds