How to setup a public share on a local network?

Discussion in 'Software' started by David67, Jun 9, 2010.

1. David67

David67 Private E-2

I want to share a folder on my local network so all other computers on the network have read only access to the folder.

I've setup the share and given read only permission to "everyone". However, when I look at the computer sharing the folder from another computer using "\\computer-name" in Windows Explorer, I'm always asked for a user name and password.

How do I share the folder so the user name and password are not required when viewing from a different computer?

Both computers are running Windows XP.

Thanks,
    David

2. theefool

theefool Geekified

XP home or pro?

3. David67

David67 Private E-2

Both computers are XP Pro and both have Simple File Sharing disabled.

4. techsent

techsent Corporal

Hi David67,

On the shared folder computer, go to...

1. control panel/admin tools/computer management/users & groups and enabled the guest account.
    2. return to admin tools and open the local security policy/local policies/user rights assignment.
    3. add the guest account to the Access this computer from the network.
    4. Remove the guest account fron the Deny access to this computer from the network.
    5. Return to the share and add the guest account.
    6. reboot all machines.

Techsent

5. David67

David67 Private E-2

Great! That got me access to the share! However, I didn't need to perform the last step of adding Guest to the share.

In the past, for other systems, I've always just been able to add "Everyone" to the share and it worked without any problems. Do you know what requires me to use the Guest account now?

Finally, does this introduce any security holes? I think the Guest account is normally disabled by default. Do I need to be more concerned now that it's enabled?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds