how to setup an unknown sound card?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by WarKirby, Jul 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WarKirby

WarKirby Private First Class

Hi everyone. I've aquired a mini PC which presently has no sound. I'mm having problems setting that up, as the sound card is identified only as "multimedia audio controller" in device manager. Attempting to automatically install the driver through windows does nothing.

Does anyone have any idea on how best to figure out what the souind card is, so i can get the drivers from the manufacturer

2. Wyatt_Earp

Wyatt_Earp MajorGeek

You'll need to open up the case and identify the sound card (or more likely, the motherboard if it has onboard sound). If you can post a picture of the motherboard, we can probably help figure out the make/model.

Another possibility, you could try Aida32 to see if it can find it for you.

3. iain.t

iain.t MajorGeek

The sound card itself should have its manufacturers name or product code on, if you can give me the make and model of your machine I may be able to find the correct software/driver for you.

iain.t :major

4. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Please help us by posting brand and model rather than the generic "mini pc" which could be a slim desktop or a netbook. I don't mind digging but I have to know what I'm looking for.
    You also need to mention what version of windows is installed because drivers might be different depending on the OS.

5. WarKirby

aida32 tells me it's a "VIA AC'97 Enhanced Audio Controller"

The brand of the machine is ShuttleX (shuttle XPC)
    System ID: K41G16013GE3TH0
    s/n: K41G00421D07490

It's running windows XP pro SP1 (outdated I know, I only installed it last night)
    The CPU s an AMD Athlon 1800+ 1.5 Ghz
    and it has 480 MB of ram

That seems to be about all the info I can get without opening the case. Is it sufficient ?

Last edited: Jul 1, 2011
  6. iain.t

iain.t MajorGeek

7. WarKirby

hooray sound! (>^o^)>

thanks everyone (literally :p)

8. iain.t

iain.t MajorGeek

Great ;), Thanks for the feedback, any more issues make a new thread in the relevent forum.

iain.t :major

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds