How to share a keyboard and mouse with two computers

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mjnc, Dec 16, 2013.

1. mjnc

mjnc MajorGeek

I'm looking for a way to share a PS/2 keyboard and a USB mouse with two computers.
    Both machines have a PS/2 port.

The monitor has both an analog and a DVI connector. After much trouble and some help from Samsung, it seems that video input
    switching is finally working. So amazing!

It looks like most inexpensive KVM kits are for either PS/2 or USB but not one of each.
    Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks.

2. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

3. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

4. mjnc

mjnc MajorGeek

Thanks to All.
    Was just finishing my first PC build and Windows 7 install which was complicated by nonfunctioning
    internet access and driver DVD on the new machine.
    As a temporary fix, I hooked up a second keyboard and mouse. Clunky and cluttered but it works.

Does Synergy require internet access on both machines?
    If so, then I have another problem in that the cable modem has only One ethernet connection.
    To have internet access on both, I'd need either a different modem from the ISP or a router or something else?
    My head is a little more mushy than usual, so if I'm wrong, please explain.

@plodr
    Thanks for the link. That's a very nice KVM. I'll keep it in mind but will look for a cheaper solution.

P.S.
    This emachines keyboard is nearly 8 years old and still works perfectly.
    In spite of having really banged on it several+ times, nothing is broken!
    None of the keys stick or wobble or require increased pressure and the tilt clips are still solid and stable.
    It's the best and most reliable keyboard I've ever had.
    The only sign of wear is the printing worn off of the left Ctrl key.
    It's a reasonable size and it has Volume and Mute buttons that work.

5. foogoo

foogoo Major "foogoo" Geek

Easy, Jcreate Wormhole cable.
    http://www.j5create.com/our-products/wormhole-switches/juc100.html

Don't be thrown by the "file tansfer cable" description. It also states..
    ■KM Functionality - Keyboard and mouse sharing between two devices

I use them to control a PC and a laptop with one KB and mouse. The added bonus of file transfer and clipboard sharing is very nice. The service starts when you plugg in the cable.. it is really awesome for what it does.

They are 19.99 at Microcenter.

This is for sharing between two Computers, ie they each have a separate monitor attached.. (KM - keyboard, mouse vs KVM - keyboard,VIDEO,mouse), your description is sharing a mouse and keyboard between 2 computers.

6. mjnc

mjnc MajorGeek

Yep, that's it.
    Looks like magic.
    Just what I need.
    Just ordered one.

Thanks foogoo.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds