how to share PPP0E connection ?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by maramures, Sep 24, 2007.

1. maramures

maramures Private E-2

Hello. I got 2 computers at work and only one has internet connection.
    So I have one with winxp sp1 installed and one with win98. Internet connection is on winxp on USB (PPP0E), and I cannot share (or I don't know what settings should make on win98). Can you help me?

2. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

you would need to purchase a router to make the pppoe connection if you wish to share with both pcs at the same time. Or if your fine with only one having acces at anygiven time you would need to get a pppoe connection manager thats 98 compatible as win98 doesn't natively do pppoe like xp.

3. maramures

maramures Private E-2

I can't get a router right now so i must find another solution. What pppoe connection manager i need ?

4. maramures

maramures Private E-2

I established the connection over internet on my win98 pc like this:

On main pc (winxp)

-I shared my PPP0E connection by checking "Allow other network users to connect through this computer's Internet connection" and "Establish a dial-up connection whenever a computer on my network attempts to access the Internet"
    -In TCP/IP from Local Area Connection (LAN) the setting look like this: IP: 192.168.0.1 and Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0 ; Gateway and DNS is empty
    -Unckecking "Allow other network users to control or disable the shared Internet connection
    -In Settings i checked all Services

On secondary pc (win98)

-TCP/IP settings: Obtain Ip address automatically
    -Control Panel-> Internet options->Connection: You need to create a connection using VPN Adapter with the VPN server: 192.168.0.1. The rest of settings here should be left the default ones
    -Settings for My connection settings should look like this : Check Automatically detect settings and uncheck the rest. The Dial-up setting are: User name and Password should be the one the ISP provided you.
    -Control Panel->Internet options->Connection: check Never dial a connection

Now you should have connection over internet on both pc's.
    Be sure you dont have a firewall on main pc (i got Comodo and don't know yet how to set the things up) that blocks the secondary pc access to internet.

I hope this post will help you

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds