How to solve BSOD Aspire One after Intel chipset install.

Discussion in 'Software' started by jets, Aug 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jets

jets Private E-2

:cool

It took me a while but I figured it out.

You will notice after downloading and installing the Intel chipset from the ACER site (or the Intel site) you will get the Blue Screen of Death (BSOD). The Intel chipset driver is Intel Mobile 945 chipset.

I don't know the cause of the error but I think the Acer Aspire netbook (AOD250 in my case) does not use all the Intel chips that are in the driver package, but just a guess.

So here is what to do to fix the problem: If you are still at BSOD no need to re-install Windows (XP in my case) just hit the F8 button and go back to the “Last know good configuration”, then uninstall the chip set driver in Add/Remove programs in the Control panel.

Then go to the device manager unknown device SM Bus device and update the drive. Now point the drive to where you extracted the original Intel chipset driver. The SM bus will now install. Now you can go and fix any more missing driver from the Acer support website.

To do the install clean do this: Install Windows (XP) then once it’s done download the Intel Mobile 945 chipset from the Intel site or the Acer support site.

Extract the file to a know location… Now no not install the whole package with the Setup Icon. Just go to the Device Manager and manually update the SM Bus driver using the update driver option, now point to the directory where you stored the Intel Mobile 945 chipset. You may have to fish around in the directories a bit to find it but it seems to me it was in the root folder.

Hope this helps someone.

Joe
    :wave

2. riveraprimo

riveraprimo Private E-2

Thanks a lot for the info I got to install the sm bus driver I had a har time doing it untill i stuble upon your tread, thanks

3. riveraprimo

riveraprimo Private E-2

thanks for the info it is really appreciated

4. lucaf

lucaf Private E-2

Thanks to nickname jet, now three year later I am facing the same situation than you. I have Aspire AOD 250 and with the old bios 1.03 all drivers worked fine with Windows XP, now updated BIOS to latesta 1.29 and the chipset driver sucks as you described.

I managed to install SM BUS driver the way you suggested (thanks for the tip) and it succeeded, but my hard drive keep still running in PIO mode instead of UDMA....

5. lucaf

lucaf Private E-2

Finally I got rid of PIO-mode in IDE drive, I managed to change the drive in AHCI mode following this guide (http://www.rmprepusb.com/tutorials/xptoahci) and selecting the AHCI drivers from the Acer's SATA drivers package (selecting the ICH7M driver). On reboot I changed SATA mode to ACHI in BIOS and now it works like a charm.

6. Chris38579

Chris38579 Private E-2

I was having this same issue with the same netbook. Thanks for the heads up. It took care of my problem. thanks again

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds