How to switch boot drive on XP

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dwh, Aug 21, 2007.

1. dwh

dwh Private E-2

Hello,

A friend of mine has XP, an OS I'm not too familiar with... His machine is a desktop Sony Vaio (I hate Sony)...and the hard drive almost died a couple times. Actually it did die..but somehow came back to life... It makes those uncomfortable noises reminiscent of a drive in trouble.

I noticed he has a second hard drive mostly unused. So I had him switch his whole my documents folder data onto drive D. And whatever else was feasible to move. But I'd love to move the booting over to Drive D. What is the best way to do this? Would it require formatting Drive D? Or can the system files be copied over and the BIOS just "setup" to boot on Drive D. Thanks for any help.

2. Yargwel

Yargwel MajorGeek

Welcome to MG. :)

The way I would do it would be to copy the data you put onto D onto a CD or DVD.

Remove old C drive and replace with what is currently the D Drive remembering to set the drive as Master.

Install XP onto this drive using the installation CD.

Re-install any programs that you have. Copy the files saved onto that CD or DVD back to the correct folders on the new drive.

You could then set the old C drive up as a slave drive and still use it (delete the windows files from it if you wish) until it fails. But certainly don't use it for anything you need to keep.

3. dwh

dwh Private E-2

Thanks. He said it came preinstalled w/ XP and he doesn't see any install disks. Is there a way to create an install disk?

4. Yargwel

Yargwel MajorGeek

Even when an OS is preinstalled you usually get a restore disk becuase otherwise the first time the OS or HD throws its legs in the air you are stuffed! The OS might be stored on the harddrive itself as a bunch of cab files possibly in a hidden folder. If that is the case you would need to burn the lot to a CD before the HD fails.

5. dwh

dwh Private E-2

Thanks. So would windows file search find it? What keyword should I have him search for? "OS"? "XP"?

6. Yargwel

Yargwel MajorGeek

First get him to reveal hidden files: My Computer>Tools>View>show hidden files and folders.

Then search on *.cab. There may be a folder with a whole bunch of them plus a few other files such as msi files and a setup file as well. If you find it you'll need to copy all the files not just the cab files.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds