How to tell which version of Windows is installed?

Discussion in 'Software' started by dlb, Dec 3, 2009.

1. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

If you have a non-booting PC with no boot.ini file, and you know it's a flavor of WinXP, is there a way to tell which version of XP is installed? I can boot to a PECD and have access to all hard drive files, but I can't seem to tell which version is installed. I would use a keyfinder type program, but these are not always accurate in reporting the Windows version. They provide the key just fine, but not always the version of Windows. I've had 'em tell me a key was for Pro but it was actually a Home install......

2. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Kind of a cheesy way to do it, but you could grab a memory dump file if there is one and debug it on another machine. That for certain will tell you the flavor and SP level.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds