how to turn off or change screen saver / hibernation mode times

Discussion in 'Software' started by wongie, Jul 30, 2005.

1. wongie

wongie Private E-2

good people, i neen ur help. i have a toshiba satellite a30-203, running windows xp. i cant seem to turn off or change the amount of time it takes my screen saver to go blank and get into hybernation mode. so far i have done several things:
    gone into toshibe power management options and changed the times i hybernate for 3 mins to 15 mins then to never but no sucess.
    i have also gone into windows registry as suggested by a friend and tried changing the time there from the standard 300 secs to 900 and still this problem persist.

please help me cause this has gotten really irritating. i can't even watch a movie with out this black screen/ screen saver coming on, neither can i work properly. i keep having to touch my mouse every 2 to 3 minutes to keep my regular screen on. what can i do. pls help me cause i'm loosing it now. i hope i have clearly described the issue.
    impatiently waiting for advice

2. Novice

Novice MajorGeek

Although I'm not familar with your particular machine, it would seem that you have done what I would do in your situation. Only other suggestions that I can provide would be to do away with your screensaver period, and check to see that there isn't a BIOS setting kicking in power management.

3. wongie

wongie Private E-2

can u pls elaborate on ur suggestions? what do u mean by a bios kick?

4. bchivers

bchivers Private First Class

Deleted

5. bchivers

bchivers Private First Class

If you do not use hibernation, make sure you do not have it enabled, which reserves disk space equal to your RAM. If you have a hidden file on the root directory of your C-drive called hiberfil.sys, hibernation is enabled. To remove that file, go to Control Panel, select Performance and Maintenance, Power Options, Hibernate tab, and uncheck the Enable hibernation box.
    If it's your screen saver right click on desktop->properties->screen saver then were it tells which screen saver you are using choose none in the scroll box.

6. wongie

wongie Private E-2

thanx for the info but again i cant do that. for some reaon i have two power management opttions and the one ur refering to wont allow to make changes. when i click it, it tells me to use the toshiba one which i have done but no sucess. what next?

7. Nick Riviera

Nick Riviera Private E-2

I figured out how to change this on my new computer... maybe you are having the same problem.

The admins at my company are a bunch of freaks and locked out the screen saver settings in the registry. You need to look through the registry ( go to Start->Run->Regedit) and find something called SCRNSAVE.exe, ScreenSaverIsSecure, and ScreenSaveTimeout.

Mine were located in:
    HKeyCurrentUsers\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\ControlPanel\Desktop

But they could be stored somewhere else... look for Policy folders under Windows if you don't find it there.

DELETE all 3 of these registry entries and you should be able to fix this issue.

Hope this helps!!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds