How to turn USB back on

Discussion in 'Software' started by ItsWendy, Dec 26, 2009.

1. ItsWendy

ItsWendy MajorGeek

Before I remove a device from USB (especially flash drives) I've been turning it off.

Good enough.

But how do I turn it back on? I can restart my computer, which does it, but that is a bit extreme I think.

It is probably something incredibly simple, but I'm missing it.

Just got a TomTom for Christmas, unplugged the wireless controller my boy was testing out, but now I'm going to have to reset this computer to test my TomTom it appear.

He gets to play with his Wii, I get to play with my TomTom. Life is like that sometimes.

2. ItsWendy

ItsWendy MajorGeek

OK, it isn't a power issue. Thinking about it the power came up OK, but after recycling the computer it saw the new device (which it didn't before).

I suspect device manager is the key, but something isn't quite right.

3. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

Device Manager > right-click the top icon in the pane > Scan for new hardware

4. Eezak

Eezak Staff Sergeant

If satrow's suggestion doesn't work what about just logging off and logging back on rather than a complete reboot? Maybe that will reset USB device detection?

5. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi Bill

How are you turning it off, just need to steps you are taking? as I may have an alternative route*, although if you are using XP and above just using the USB remove option works fine as it will not give you the ok until the device hs stopped sending or recieving data, personally as suprise removal is a legacy thing I just pull out USB items as soon as the drive lights stopped (mainly format USB to NTFS for its security and journaling so aid in data protection over FAT32).

*althernative is in device manager under USB, you'll see when a USB drive is plugged in a MASS Driver (it wont tell you what one) and you can just disable the device and then re-enable when you need.

6. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

A flash drive has no power switch so how do you "turn it off"?

7. ItsWendy

ItsWendy MajorGeek

OK, brain fart on my part. Power was getting to the device (as shown by a little green light), and I missed it

Embarrassing, but there you go. Thanks for the help.

For Plodr, there is an option to safely remove a USB device. You can usually get by without using it, but when I'm dealing with a storage device I usually go through the exercise, lest I corrupt something I want to keep.

Happy New Year everyone!

8. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

I always use the safely remove. Even though it appears that the data has been transferred, I have, on several occasions, been told I can not remove the device yet because something is using it. I wait and try a minute or two later then it allows me to remove it safely. For me, it is not worth the risk of corrupting my data so I choose to use the safely remove icon.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds