How to undelete partitions in RAID 5 ?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Dorre, Apr 17, 2011.

1. Dorre

Dorre Private E-2

I accidentally deleted 2 (of 3) partitions in a RAID 5 (3HDD) array.
    All data should still be on the HDD, but I cannot access it.
    There is a lot of (free) software that is said to be able to restore the partitions without losing data. Who can direct me?

Info:
    Hardware RAID 5 (Intel) - 3 harddisks
    Devided in 3 primar partitions, 1 active
    MyComputer shows active partition only
    Diskmanager shows 1 disk (RAID) with 1 active partition and 1 big unallocated space where there used to be 2 partitions (not activa).
    All NTFS

2. tgell

tgell Major Geek Extraordinaire

3. Dorre

Dorre Private E-2

I checked out (other) software that was not specific for RAID. I dare not execute recovery as the software might misunderstand intersections.
    If there were only one partition to undelete I would have no doubt.
    I think RAID 5 is all about intersection.

4. theefool

theefool Geekified

We can only assume you have a backup?

5. Dorre

Dorre Private E-2

Of course not. These things only happen if you don't have a backup.
    I choose for a RAID 5 setup to compensate my negligence.
    That works fine as long as you do not experiment.

The lack of response on this thread tells me that the information I provided was insufficient.
    I should have started this thread with the title:

"SwissKnife killed my RAID 5 partitions"
    Here's the story:
    For some reason I had to re-format a partition on a harddisk from NTSF to FAT32. The other way around is easy, but for NTFS to FAT32 I needed either a Windows98 machine or a tool.
    I choose the latter. I learned about SwissKnife (V3.22) and that it could do the trick.
    After downloading and installing SwissKnife for some reason it refused to run on the computer I preset.
    As SK run well on my RAID5 (Intel hardware) machine I went to that computer.
    I unhooked one of the DVD drives and hooked on the HDD that needed re-format.
    [SwissKnife would change the drive type by deleting the partition and creating a new (FAT32) partition.]
    After restarting the RAID5 machine all looked well, the HDD was available in Windows XP, so I ran SwissKnife.
    I selected the partition that needed the change and clicked 'delete'.
    Nothing seemed to have happened, so I repeated the sequence.
    Again there seemed to be nothing changed, so I closed SK.
    I checked MyComputer and =shocks= 2 partitions of my RAID5 array were gone. I hoped it was just that the drive letters were gone, but no.
    Diskmanager showed a big unallocated gap, there where the 2 partitions used to be.
    So.... my question should be: Can I undo the damage that I caused with SwissKnife?

6. Dorre

Dorre Private E-2

How to undelete partitions in RAID 5

After waiting for (no) response and surfing the internet for many hours searching for the best way to deal with the problem
    I choose EASEUS Partition Recovery 5.0.1 (Freeware) as the tool to get my partitions in RAID 5 back.
    The reason I choose this tool is simple: Easy to understand, easy to control (process in small steps) and you can cancel at any time.

I let it search the unallocated diskspace (fast) and soon the first partition was found.
    After 20 minutes the second partition was found and after about 40 minutes the entire unallocated area was scanned (750GB).
    One click to proceed and in a few seconds the partitions were recovered succesfully. :)
    The fact that all is in RAID 5 seems irrelevant.

Apparantly SwissKnife only deleted the MFT?
    Whatever. I'm just glad they are undeleted and I won't have any sleepless nights on this any more.

BTW: As of now I WILL backup regularly. :p

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds