Hp Compaq nx6310 Problem

Discussion in 'Software' started by Bboy_Rusty, Mar 14, 2011.

1. Bboy_Rusty

Bboy_Rusty Private E-2

Hi everyone,
    Im struggling to work out the problem on my Hp Compaq nx6310 all of a sudden 4 keys have stopped working! The backspace Enter and both shift buttons have decided to retire. When I have tried the on screen keyboard no problem also the same for an external Usb keyboard. Adding to my further confusion upon replacing the keyboard with a new one, the problem still exists!

Any body with any suggestions to resolve my problem would be greatly appreciated. Thanks :)

2. motc7

motc7 Vice Admiral (Starfleet)

That's weird that you replaced with a new keyboard and still having problems.

• Have you updated the BIOS yet?
    • Are you sure the the ribbon is connected firmly with the snap in connectors inside the computer?
    • Try going through Device Manager, right clicking on the items list under keyboards and update drivers?

3. Bboy_Rusty

Bboy_Rusty Private E-2

Have done all of the above to no avail! but thanks for the suggestions. ;)

4. Bboy_Rusty

Bboy_Rusty Private E-2

I also believe that the Ctrl button is not functioning either !

5. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

You could try uninstalling the keyboard in Device Manager. Reboot and it should reinstall it.

If you have a bootable CD such as a Windows CD if you can get to a command line then you could test the backspace and Shift keys for functionality. If they work there then you know it is a software problem.

6. motc7

I was going to suggest that as well, but you know, didn't want to disable that keyboard and not get it back.

7. Bboy_Rusty

Bboy_Rusty Private E-2

I already tried un-installing the keyboard drivers and re-boot and I tried to attempt a recovery using xp disc but when i needed to use enter I was unable to!

8. motc7

when you replaced the keyboard, was it a new one you ordered, or spare parts from another?

9. Bboy_Rusty

Bboy_Rusty Private E-2

A New one

10. sach2

Hi,

Just a quick clarification, I didn't recommend disabling keyboard drivers but uninstalling them. You are right, disabling would not have been a good idea because it could be hard to get them back.

That said it does seem like a hardware problem. Have you tried to Fn key + the F? key for enabling the numbers function on the keyboard. (It looks like that would be Fn + F8 from what I see but can't tell for sure from the small pictures I could find.) Very unlikely but I just want to rule out some sort of malfunction there.

Other than that, I can only think of a problem with BIOS but I can't imagine a setting to disable the enter key. Which leaves something wrong with the connector on the motherboard.

I can't think of any other possible causes.

11. Bboy_Rusty

Bboy_Rusty Private E-2

Yes it was the uninstall I done. I only updated the bios before and I have just tried the fn and all the fs starting with f8

So the only logical conclusion is the port where the ribbon is inserted on the keyboard. Hmmm I just cant for the life of me imagine why this particular part would cease to function. But if theres no other advice that can be suggested then I guess its time for a shop to look at it and give it a diagnostic test! Thanks to those who have tried to help. ;)

12. sach2

Just to be sure you used the new ribbon cable that came with the keyboard?

13. Bboy_Rusty

Bboy_Rusty Private E-2

Yes and I have just tried doing a reinstall and the problem still exist so in short its fooked! :cry

14. sach2

I only found one thread with a similar issue but there was no resolution. Sorry, I don't know what else to try.

15. Anthug

Anthug Private E-2

I have a similar problem with a Compaq Presario M2207AP.

Both shift keys don't work. Replaced with new keyboard and still don't work. USB external keyboard shift keys work fine.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds