HP Designjet 488CA not supported in Vista, workaround?

Discussion in 'Software' started by blmiller, Sep 9, 2009.

1. blmiller

blmiller Private E-2

Hi all,
    I recently purchased an Acer Aspire One with Vista. Among my other problems with Vista, my plotter printer (HP DesignJet 488CA) is not supported under Vista. I have read some other threads about drivers for different models working, does anyone know of a driver that would work for this plotter?

I'm faced with either:
    -Finding a workaround option and staying with Vista
    -Downgrading to XP (fine by me, but sounds like a huge pain)
    -Buying a new plotter. No way! Way too expensive, and mine still works beautifully.

Any advice would be wholeheartedly appreciated, thanks!

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Do you have XP drivers for this plotter? if so run the Setup file for the driver in compatability mode for XP SP2, right click the setup file and choose Properties, then click the Compatability tab and choose in the dropdown XP SP2 and apply.

Or as a longshot and this has worked for some others with driver issues in Vista, is to run the Xerox Mobile Express driver as its acts as a universal printer driver, may not have all the options the HP driver may have had, but worth a try.

Problem is HP like many other companies didnt design drivers for the newer Windows versions, they want you to buy a new printer, this is not Microsoft fault at all.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds