HP dv5000 fan constantly running

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by KathyH, Nov 2, 2008.

1. KathyH

KathyH Private E-2

Plan to disassemble dv5000 laptop today to at least use a can of air to clean fan and and dust I can get out. Looking around online and at the owners manual, not clear on best route for taking apart. I've seen some showing from bottom of laptop and other taking the keyboard off. If someone has some tips, would greatly appreciate. I have the owners manual online....as a cross reference. This is my attempt at hopefully getting the fan to stop running every 5 min. or so. I've done all the normal virus, spyware cleanup, defrag which is more than routine with my computers. I've gone into Task Manager and stopped programs that were not necessary. My experience taking apart desktops is more routine, but this is first attempt at taking apart my 4 yr. old laptop other than installing RAM. Thank you...

2. Toke

Toke MajorGeek

If this is of any help I have read on MG at some time that it is not good to take apart a Laptop if you are not experienced, as unlike a desktop the laptop is more intricate and reassembling can be a nightmare but I'm sure some other Geek with laptop experience will post you .. ;)

3. KathyH

KathyH Private E-2

I have experience w/ desktops as I said. I took apart the laptop, removing keyboard, but not able to get down to fan....I did not take out the HD or optical drive (perhaps needed to?). I was able to see a small part of fan, used can of air, but really not thorough cleaning. Need more time to scour internet or hopefully someone more knowledgeable will come through. Thank you though.

4. dar_p

dar_p Private E-2

5. KathyH

KathyH Private E-2

Great photos...on trip now but will revisit this when I get home. Laptop is not so much noisy as bothersome that fan is coming on so often which I don't remember it doing in past. I had a friend look at it briefly, and said machine was "clean" on outside and guessed inside would not be an issue. Perhaps barrings on fan getting old. There again, it's not a noise issue, but the fact that it's coming on. Thank you...

6. chaimjm

chaimjm Staff Sergeant

If you are going to open and repair the laptop yourself, I would suggest that you replace the fan

7. dar_p

dar_p Private E-2

Do you know where to buy, like what spec to lookfor .
    Basically i am looking for good quality fan not more than $50.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds