Hp dv8000 quickplay button problem

Discussion in 'Software' started by trendsettingauto, May 20, 2009.

1. trendsettingauto

trendsettingauto Private E-2

:cryI HAVE A 1 YR OLD DV8000 THAT I JUST INSTALLED A FRESH COPY OF WINDOWS ON AND THE QUICKPLAY BUTTONS ARE NO LONGER WORKING. I DOWNLOADED THE QUICKPLAY DRIVERS AND THEY STILL DONT WORK. PLEASE HELP...

2. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

Please post the exact model of the laptop. There are 10 different models in the dv8000 series. The exact model number will be on the small white on the bottom of the laptop. It will have "dv8000" on it, the serial number, and then the exact model number will look like "dv8040ca" for example. Also include which version of Windows you're using, and which service pack (like Windows XP SP3 or Vista SP1 for example).

3. trendsettingauto

There are only 2 DV8000's, one has a core duo (DV8000t) and the other has an AMD processor. Mine has the AMD. There is no small white on the bottom. It says DV8000 on the badge on the bottom right screen frame.

4. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

http://h20180.www2.hp.com/apps/Look...h_pagetype=s-002&h_query=dv8000&submit=Go+%BB
    Take a look at this link. Those are all the dv8000 models. There's clearly 10. All of them have the "dv8000" badge at the bottom right of the screen. Please look at the small white sticker on the bottom. If there is no sticker, please attach an Everest report to a future post. Use the info in this link to create the report.
    Thanks! :-D

Also please include the version of Windows you're using with the service pack.

5. trendsettingauto

I re-checked and there is a MFG no-2ca629 1c9j, if that helps.

6. trendsettingauto

Mine is the 1st one listed, the dv8000.

7. trendsettingauto

Mine is the 1st one listed, the dv8000, and I'm running XPSP3.

8. Boatista24

Boatista24 Private E-2

The buttons on top of the keyboard are called QUICK LAUNCH buttons and require a separate driver, even though there is no errant device listed in device manager of windows. You will find it on HP's driver site for this model under KEYBOARD, MOUSE AND INPUT DEVICES.
    Once the driver is installed, it will place a terminate and stay resident program in windows start up, and when windows is restarted, the keys will work.
    Depending on how you wiped and reloaded windows (i.e. if you removed all the partitions on the hard drive) your original QUICK PLAY software may or may not work off these buttons in front of windows, which is what QUICK PLAY was designed to do. They will continue to function within windows, providing you have re-installed the windows side of QUICK PLAY. (There are two components of QUICK PLAY - QUICK PLAY DIRECT - the portion in front of windows, and QUICK PLAY FOR WINDOWS - the windows portion of it. The windows portion must be installed for the direct portion of it to be fully updated and functional. Two of the three original partitions must have remained intact for QUICK PLAY DIRECT to be re-enabled - the RESTORE partition and the partition upon which QUICK PLAY DIRECT resides. If they have remained intact, there is a file on HP's driver web-site for this model that will fix a no longer working QUICK PLAY direct after a wipe and reload.) QUICK PLAY for windows is available on the web, but QUICK PLAY DIRECT is much harder to find, difficult to install properly, and no longer supported by HP. There are three versions of QUICK PLAY DIRECT - 1.0, 2.1 and 2.3 - all of which will only function under windows XP.
    Version 1.0 uses a Linux 230 megabyte partition at the end of the HDD, and 2.1 and 2.3 use a one gigabyte windows XP EMBEDDED NTFS partition, also at the end of the drive.
    In conclusion, the power button, the wireless button, and in the case of the lack of presence of QUICK PLAY DIRECT, the DVD button will be the only buttons which operate until the QUICK LAUNCH BUTTON drivers are installed. What they do, besides volume control, is explained above. Also, I have both versions 1.0 and 2.3 of QUICK PLAY DIRECT, but not 2.1. I also have QUICK PLAY FOR WINDOWS 2.3 and 3.0. If you need them, contact this ID and I will send you an ISO of the version you need.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds