hp dvd1170 wont read blank dvds

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by phkn_d0rk, Aug 24, 2011.

1. phkn_d0rk

phkn_d0rk Private E-2

Hello all!

I have a HP dvd1170 w/lightscribe internal drive and here's my problem. the drive will read both cd's and dvd's written on other computers and will read and allow me to burn cd's but if i put a blank dvd in the drive the drive spins and spins and spins but that's it. it wont recognize the blank dvd. it wont allow me to write to the dvd and it seems that the entire drive locks up. it wont eject unless i reboot. at first I thought it may have been the brand i was using but i have since tried 5 or 6 different brands and they all do the same thing. any suggestions?

2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

It sounds like the DVD burning laser is gone. On drives that can burn both CDs and DVDs, one laser can stop working and the other will continue working fine.

If you have a friend with an external DVD burner, you can attach that and see if you can burn a DVD. If you can, then it is your burner; if you can't then it is a software/windows problem.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds