Hp Elite Book 6930p Boot Issues

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by CaMidltn, Dec 28, 2016.

1. CaMidltn

CaMidltn Private E-2

Hello all, I am asking for my daughter who has a HP Elitebook 6930P laptop. When she goes to boot it up, it gets just so far and shuts itself off as if there was no power to it. This happens when it is plugged in or running off of the battery.

She is currently running a scan disc to see what the computer actually picks up.

She has had it the same time as I have had my Dell Latitude E6410. We got them both at the Electronic sale at our fair grounds last year.

What could be wrong with her HP?

Thanks

2. CrankyHydra134

CrankyHydra134 Private E-2

hi, everyone. I'm CaMidltn's daughter. The elitebook is mine. Its running a comprehensive hdd self test at the moment. I went to boot it up about 3 or 4 days ago, and it got past the boot menu option, gave me the windows loading icon, then suddenly shut off, like the battery had been yanked out. When i would try to reboot it, it would give me the boot menu, get past that option, then show me that it was trying to recover windows. (which i guess is normal given that it randomly shut itself off with no warning.) right now the hdd test is at 70%. It lets me do the diagnostics perfectly fine, but when i try to boot it beyond the screen with it offering this, it shuts off. I have tried to attempt to boot on strictly battery, battery and plugged in, and even strictly plugged in. All with the same result.

Any advice or thoughts you guys have would be very helpful at this point. I'm great at figuring out select things when it comes to computers, but this issue is way out of my depth.
    Thanks in advance.
    ~CrankyHydra134

3. CrankyHydra134

****Update**** It's letting me get to the login screen now, after i reset the security protocols on the Bios by mistake (Stupid track pad)

Now the issue is that it runs painfully slow, despite it having an Intel Core Duo inside clocking in at a 2.53 GHz. I think the hard drive is a 120 GB(?) but i am not certain. i have noticed that if i have more than one or two programs running in the foreground at the same time, it bogs it down majorly. Is there a way to fix this somehow? I really love this computer, and would really love to fix it back to fresh out of the box quality. But i don't want to change something that doesn't need it.

Aaannnd now it tells me that the battery is at 0%, plugged in, but not charging. When i ran diagnostics on the computer, it did notate that i had the battery in place....

~CrankyHydra134

4. mdonah

mdonah Major Geek Extraordinaire

You've got a duplicate Post for this issue.

Is the laptop still under warranty? If it is, I'd return it for servicing/replacement.

5. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

From doing some searching, the Elitebook 6930P appears to have come out in the fall of 2008. Almost anything in hardware could be going bad in an 8 year old laptop.

Have you tried running it without the battery in it? Some laptops balk if a failing battery is in the device. And if it is the original battery, 8 years is a long time for a battery. The normal span of original batteries can be anywhere from 2 to 5 years.

You also did not specify what version of Windows you are running, how much RAM is installed and how much free space is left on the 120GB hard drive.
    http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docLocale=en_US&docId=emr_na-c01538038
    All of these can have an effect on the slowness of a computer.

The Dell is a 2 year newer laptop so don't compare the two.

Just Playin likes this.
  6. CrankyHydra134

mdonah, i do not have a warranty on the elitebook, unfortunately. when i purchased it, it was refurbished. Any warranty was probably long gone by the time i bought it. :/
    Plodr, we weren't exactly comparing my hp to my mom's dell. we were simply stating that they were purchased at the same event. And i'm sorry for not posting the information... The os on the Hp is Windows 10 pro(upgraded from windows 7 pro. the ram is 2 gb. And i have roughly 95 gb left of space on the hard drive. As for the battery? i have no clue if it is the original. It might be though...it lets me run it as long as the adapter is plugged in, but it says that my battery is not available for use...so it's at 0% and not charging....would it hurt to see if replacing the battery would work?

~CrankyHydra134

7. Just Playin

Just Playin MajorGeek

Pull the battery out and boot it up. I had an old laptop which was giving me fits. After I ditched the battery, I was finally able to get it up and running. You might get lucky too.

This is a really old laptop and the measly 2GB RAM and Core Duo CPU is probably holding it back, but I'm not going to suggest blowing money on it. DDR2 RAM isn't cheap and the CPU will still be a bottleneck. I would work on getting the Dell up and running. It has better specs and you'll find DDR3 laptop RAM easier to find, relatively cheaper too.

8. mdonah

@Just Playin,

The Dell is her mom's and it's running but not as fast as her mom's instructors'. Her mom is looking to replace her Dell after she gets her tax refund.

@CrankyHydra134,

I didn't realize the age of your HP. As plodr said, the battery may simply be shot, won't accept a charge any more and needs to be replaced. HP might charge an arm and a leg for one so, look on ebay. That's where I'm getting a replacement battery for my Dell Latitude E6400.

9. Just Playin

Just Playin MajorGeek

She can hand it down. I have an Elitebook my daughter passed on to me with similar specs. I got a noticeable increase in performance by popping some more RAM in. Otherwise, Mom may have to make a sacrifice for her daughter's future.

10. mdonah

The mom is in school. I don't know about the daughter.

11. Just Playin

Just Playin MajorGeek

It's hard to keep that stuff straight.:confused: Still, about $45 for 8GB in the Dell should help until she gets a new laptop this spring and she can pass it to her daughter and retire the HP as it is long past it's prime.

12. the mekanic

the mekanic Major Mekanical Geek

Hardware is tough to diagnose without the machine present.

Frankly, it's easier to build a fire than a hard drive.

Dirty power will cause issues. Too many bad sectors can cause issues. A failing power supply/battery can cause issues. Spindle slowdown or erratic motor speed will cause headaches.

This does sound like a hardware issue, but without PC Doctor level tests on the motherboard we are throwing darts in the dark.

13. mdonah

My Dell Latitude came with 4GB of RAM (2x2 GB). It cost me $119 to bring it up to 8 GB (2x4 GB matched modules). Yeah, I agree that increasing the RAM in the mom's Dell would help along with an SSD but, her funds are limited.

As for the HP's age, I've got 2 Dell Precision M70s (ca 2005) that still work although, Windows 10 is really slow but doesn't crash. I simply can't afford PATA SSDs for them.

14. Just Playin

Just Playin MajorGeek

15. CaMidltn

CaMidltn Private E-2

Hello all,

Thank you for attempting to help my daughter with her Elitebook. I am grateful for all of your help with my Latitude. It is running so much better now that it has a new install on it.

But her computer, I am not certain as to what she wants to truly do with it. She was told that the hard drive was going out, but then I had my problems with mine, and suggested her signing up and talking to all of you about it. Just in case it wasn't the hard drive. Told her 2nd opinions are always great.

I have went onto the link that Just Playin provided to see about the RAM sticks....not bad. I will have to start putting money back to get them. Thanks Just Playin.

16. CrankyHydra134

@mdonah i looked on ebay and found a replacement battery for $12 with free shipping brand new. It's not terrible, i suppose. Haha.

But there are two more questions i have. On the hhd, if i get a more roomier one, how big can i go before i have to start changing other things like the mother board, graphics card, etc.?

Tying into the hhd, if i beef up the ram, how does it affect the graphics card and mother board respectively? (I've actually wondered this for quite some time, but never found anyone who could answer without a million "umm"s and "well"s. )
    I really do appreciate all of your advice.

~CrankyHydra134

17. the mekanic

the mekanic Major Mekanical Geek

The size of a hard drive is not tied to any other hardware. It is tied to the operating system, and it's ability to recognize a given amount of space. Remember that not all hard drives are created equal. They differ in speed (5400, 7200, 10000 RPM) and the size of their cache (64, 128, or 256 MB lately). I tend to lean toward an SSD for reliability and speed, then a secondary HDD for data.

If you beef up the RAM, it will increase the ability of the system to do work. The CPU is the brain, and the RAM can be considered the hands. As a segue, imagine 2GB allowing you to type 20 words per minute, while 8GB will allow you to type 80 words per minute. It will take some load off the graphics card, but that is dependent on the software you are running. Some software will utilize system RAM, others are heavy on the graphics side. It depends. To finish the segue, I tend to think of the hard drive as the eyeballs reading the paper. A larger cache and a faster spindle speed create lower access times which leads to "speed reading".

Does that help a bit?

18. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

19. Just Playin

Just Playin MajorGeek

2 TB for the hard drive and 8 GB for RAM. Once you've replaced those, you're pretty much done. Your graphics chip is most likely integrated on the motherboard and the motherboard is custom made for that laptop.

As for RAM, think of it this way: You are the CPU doing work, the RAM is like a desk where you can lay out all the files you need to work and hard drive is like a filing cabinet to store them. You can only put so many files on the desk before you run out of room. Once that happens, you need to put some files back in the filing cabinet and get out the next file you need. That takes time. With a bigger desk, you can get out more files at once, getting more work done.

20. CrankyHydra134

I think i get what everyone is saying. but if not, i certainly know where to go! ^_^ you guys are definitely amazing. and i sincerely appreciate everyone's opinions, advice, and even breakdowns when you've taken the time to try to explain things better. (Second half of thread.) it truly means a lot to this lil' noobie. I probably would've just listed the hp on ebay under the "For Parts or Not Working" section and let someone with more patience try to fix it back up...don't get me wrong, it's a great laptop, and aside from my nitpicking, has lots of life left in it. but it needs some serious upgrading. who knows, with the right setup, it could potentially make a pretty wicked gaming laptop... ;)

~CrankyHydra134

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds