hp laptop does not read memory stick!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ej1245, Jul 24, 2004.

1. ej1245

ej1245 Corporal

Hi I have a new hp pavilion zx5060us with winxp. I inserted a texas instruments untramedia memory stick pro. the lights flashed and windows attempted to install it, i got a message saying the driver was not compatable with the platform??? (see attached jpeg) do I need a driver? I can't find it anywhere. I checked winupdate, and HP. I tried to reinstall it, and no luck. help

Attached Files:

2. krazykrl

krazykrl Sergeant Major

XP Pro? SP1? What are the specifications of the memory stick, is it compatible?

Try updating Windows.

3. NeoNemesis

NeoNemesis Moutharrhea

make sure that it was laptop memory and that you installed it right. laptop memory is very different from PC memory and it is also very very very difficult to install so be sure that you installed it right. I would double check that once more.

4. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Sorry Neo your way way off ..... ej1245 has a Laptop which can have a 5-1 digital memory card reader installed and thats nothing to do with his RAM memory!

please just think a small bit before posting as it can confuse the issue, do a little research before posting thats what most of us do unless we 100% know the answer... we cannot know all hardware/software issues.

back to the original question....

Was the card reader an original fit when you bought the laptop or have you added it? if so is it compatible with your HP?

as krazykrl said does the card reader you have support Memory Stick Pro cards? also as he says are you upto date with windows eg. SP1 all updates etc etc

one thing I would try is enter Device Manager ... look for any yellow ! or red X which is to do with your card reader double click it and pick Driver > update driver and click next and make sure you are connected to the internet it MAY find the driver your you.

5. ej1245

ej1245 Corporal

yes, my laptop has a 5-1 card reader in it. The stick is a Lexar 128mb memory stick, it is supposed to be compatable with my HP zx5060us laptop. I have xp home on it. I tried uninstalling all pcmcia adapters and TI drivers in my device manager and still when i reboot and put the stick in I get the "I still get.."TI untramedia_MS driver is not intended for this platform" message. The stick tries to install a driver in IDE ATA/ATAPI contollers. The lights come on on the stick too when i insert it. I updated everything, I'm updated to death. help

6. ej1245

ej1245 Corporal

I went to EVEREST and installed it, I have more info than I can handle, it didn't update anything. Heres a pic of my device manager...

Attached Files:

7. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

Halo heres a guess,
    I am always concerned with USB issues that the newest motherboard drivers are not current. If I was him, I would check for motherboard drivers, for example Intel calls theire Intel Chipset Software Instalation http://www.majorgeeks.com/download1667.html but HP might have their own specific drivers for it, so check their first. I have run into countless USB problems this resolved. In this case, there are really no drivers for XP, it is supposed to be plug and play USB, but your USB has drivers and you may need a driver update to run newer hardware like that, so its a potential fix.

8. krazykrl

krazykrl Sergeant Major

There must be drivers for this Memory Stick. It is coming up as TI, but what is the brand name? Is it something else like Lexar or SanDisk? If so, thats where to start, get any available drivers for your Memory Stick off of their website.

9. Major Attitude

There is no driver for the memory sticks except 98. As I said, XP with the newer USB and plug and play does not need it. My sony camera does not need a driver. I told you where to start, if your not going to try what we suggest, I cant help you. You wont find a newer driver for it, at least for XP, because there isnt one! Cancel the "I need a driver" thought, erase it.

10. Major Attitude

11. krazykrl

krazykrl Sergeant Major

Does the Memory Stick work anywhere else?

If it is getting a yellow exclamation mark in the device manager, it is either not functioning, or requires software. Since MA seems to think it is not software, look to the hardware.....

12. Major Attitude

No, I said its not a driver issue for the memory stick itself, but rather more then likely motherboard drivers or the card is bad.

13. ej1245

ej1245 Corporal

Don't be mad....thank you all so much for your help, I guess I won't know how to fix this for a while now. My daughter had to take her stick and the camera with her back to work to access the files. I've contacted both Lexar and HP, Lexar has sent me a link http://www.lexarmedia.com/drivers/files/discontinued/pc_ms.exeI haven't tried it yet. HP sent me this one now, ftp://ftp.compaq.com/pub/softpaq/sp26001-26500/SP26219.exe it would be the third one I've tried from them. Guess I won't know if my 5-1 reader works til I get the stick back! My digital camera uses compactflash, I have a usb reader for that. thanks again you guys

14. krazykrl

krazykrl Sergeant Major

Both links are downloadable software. Hmmmmm. :p

15. Major Attitude

Mad, no, frustrated yes. Im over here hollering what to try, after you requested help, and as of yet I have not heard you say that you tried it. You say driver, I say motherboard driver, you say driver, I say motherboard driver. Its like beating my head into a wall over here. Good luck!

16. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Very very true.... if I miss installing them I have many issues with devices, until they are installed.

again with XP and with Digital Cameras.. which I test out around 3 a week @ work ( any more would be like doing some actual work.. god forbid ) and have not had one not picked up by XPs mass driver.... I use my Fuji same as you no drivers... not needed, however I did have a few Card Readers.. yellow /!\ until I updated via device manager the drivers... probably old type card readers.. dunno cannot remember and not part of the problem at hand.

one line I did notice in the links you provided MA to the PCMCIA - TI PCI 1620 cardbus was this "New Firmware (version 1.19) adds support for Sony Memory Stick PRO 512-MB and 1-GB write protected cards." ????? possible as to why the MS Pro card is not being picked up.

17. bsb0011

bsb0011 Private E-2

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds