HP laptop slow startup problem (Vista Home Premium)

Discussion in 'Software' started by room205, Dec 17, 2009.

1. room205

room205 Private E-2

i have an HP laptop n i am having slow startup problem. laptop's specs are: AMD Turion X2 processor, 3GB of ram, 250bg hard disk, nvidia integrated graphics, vista home premium 32bit SP2, 17inch display. the model is dv9910us.
    lately it takes a lot of time to boot.....sometime it hangs up in the starting hp boot screen for about 2-3 minutes. sometimes it hangs after the initial boot and before the windows scrolling bar appears. sometimes it hangs after scrolling bar ends and before user login screen. and lastly it always hangs up for 2 minutes(not exact to the seconds) after i login into any user account. i am also having problems wid my DVD drive....it doesnt show up in explorer most of d time! i tried deleting the upper and lower filter entries for d drive frm registry n it worked fine for couple of boots but its giving problems again.
    the whole startup process takes 20-25 minutes sometimes.....i have already removed unwanted entries frm startup, cleaned up registry, defragmented drives, scanned for viruses and so on!! i have also uninstalled most of the programs including my antivirus(avira)........searched in lots of forums and did everything that was suggested and still the problem exists!!

i am a computer engineering student and i have done everything in my knowledge but still the problem persists....so guys HELP!!!!

2. Have you ran dskchk on the drive to make sure it doesn't have bad sectors?
    Made sure all of the vents are clean and not clogged so the cpu is not overheating?

:)

3. rustyjack

rustyjack MajorGeek

Follow what CaptainQwerty says instructions for Vista :

Check your hard disk for errors

You can help solve some computer problems and improve the performance of
    your computer by making sure that your hard disk has no errors.

Click to open Computer.

Right-click the hard disk drive that you want to check, and then click
    Properties.

Click the Tools tab, and then, under Error-checking, click Check Now. If
    you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the
    password or provide confirmation.

To automatically repair problems with files and folders that the scan
    detects, select Automatically fix file system errors. Otherwise, the disk
    check will simply report problems but not fix them.

To perform a thorough disk check, select Scan for and attempt recovery of
    bad sectors. This scan attempts to find and repair physical errors on the
    hard disk itself, and it can take much longer to complete.

To check for both file errors and physical errors, select both Automatically
    fix file system errors and Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors.

Click Start.

Depending upon the size of your hard disk, this may take several minutes.
    For best results, don't use your computer for any other tasks while it's
    checking for errors.

Note
    If you select Automatically fix file system errors for a disk that is in use
    (for example, the partition that contains Windows), you'll be prompted you to
    reschedule the disk check for the next time you restart your computer.

Good luck ;)

P.S You could also try running sfc /scannow at the command prompt.

1. Find your command prompt in the start menu, usually under Accessories.
    2. Right click it and select "Run as Administrator."
    3. At the command prompt type: sfc /scannow ( putting a space between sfc and / )

Press enter and let it do its job.

4. room205

room205 Private E-2

thank u guys for responding!

i have already done those things that you have mentioned.....sfc command and checking my hard drives! and i am pretty sure its not because of cpu overheating coz the laptop works fine and is fast after all the startup process is over!! its the startup thats giving me nightmares!!

i have noticed a pattern during the whole booting process........the hp boot screen with all those info such as 'press f10 for entering setup' etc hangs for around 1:45 minutes(previously it lasted for around 2 seconds).......then the windows loads up and the horizontal scrolling thing starts....it too takes longer than before but dats acceptable considering the time i have been using the OS.....then 1 of 2 things happen......either the windows orb appears and the user login screen comes.....or the screen just goes blank and the cpu fans start racing and continues for around 20-25 minutes and then the orb and login screen comes!! after that when i login into any user account, it always hangs for 2 minutes!! after that everything is normal and the system works fine!!

i am guessing that the hang up during POST is due to problems with the DVD drive but i am not being able to figure out the problems behind the other two hang ups!!

so wat r ur thoughts abt it??

5. padams

padams First Sergeant

First I would run a defrag of the hard drive. (defraggler works great!)
    I would also run ccleaner just to clean things up.
    Then I would run anti malware scans.

If that doesn't fix it then at least you will have a good base for your troubleshooting since the chkdsk didn't find anything.

6. room205

room205 Private E-2

padams,
    i think u missed my 1st post.....i have already defragged my hard drives....n i use ccleaner regularly!

7. padams

padams First Sergeant

Woops sorry, I was looking at all the other posts on chkdsk.

Have you ran any anti malware software?

8. room205

room205 Private E-2

i use malwarebytes' anti-malware

9. padams

padams First Sergeant

Ok, do a full scan and see if it finds anything.

10. room205

room205 Private E-2

nothing shows up.....my system is free of malwares and viruses coz it operates fine and is pretty fast.....its just during the startup that it slows down!! maybe some OS issues or hardware issues!

11. padams

padams First Sergeant

Sorry, if cleaning up your startup programs, running chkdsk, defragging, and running anti malware scans didn't work then I'm pretty much out of ideas. It could be hardware related, but I'm not 100% sure. Hopefully somebody else here can help.

12. skolor

skolor Private E-2

Check with HP for how to run a hardware scan on your Computer. I know that several of the DVxxxx series computers have had over heating problems, which could cause the long wait on the HP splash screen. I had a DV6xxx that died from an overheating problem, and the first symptom was the POST taking a long time, which sounds like what you have now.

13. Caliban

Caliban I don't need no steenkin' title!

You might try booting to Safe Mode: if your machine starts noticeably faster, then some 3rd-party programs are most likely the culprits...if, however, Safe Mode also takes a very long time to start, then you may be looking at a hardware-related problem, in which case you might check your BIOS for any anomalies...

14. steb

steb Private E-2

i have the same problem with you,but i have own technique to boot it without hang-ing , HP laptop ,this is simple step

after you type your password or boot up wait for a few minutes,then if you see the mouse cursor have the loading circle wait until it will gone,but if you hAve the sidebar ,when the gadgets icon pops-up your computer were normally in progress

im sorry for the wrong grammar because im not american

or just delete files that you dont need if your memory is in for ex. 300gb make up it about of 120gb or above , another way download readyboost for vista,reinstalling os is useless!!

15. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

to Room205
    Has any programs been set to run a background or boot scan?
    Sounds like an AV or antispyware scan is running.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds