hp laserjet 4L - windows xp problem

Discussion in 'Software' started by somae, Sep 14, 2008.

1. somae

somae Private E-2

I'm having the same problem as in the quoted post below, but it happens when I boot the computer rather than coming out of hybernation.

I've tried reinstalling the driver numerous times with numerous variations.
    It seems that hp didn't make a driver for this printer specifically for
    windows xp. They have a driver for post script printers that comes up for
    win xp but it doesn't function properly. Right now I'm using a win NT
    driver. I tried variations of ECP and EPP and bi-directional (the only one
    that functions). I even tried to use a win 98 driver.

It seems the driver has to be edited to eliminate the computer from checking
    the status. Not sure how to get to the printer driver or how to edit it.

We had alot of problems installing the printer after updating from windows 98 to xp. The printer port lpt1 didn't appear in the install printer wizard but did appear in the device manager. After many failed attempts to install the printer, after changing the port in the device manager to lpt2, it finally installed. I also had to change the bios setting from "auto" to "enable".

We have a dell dimension xps_r440 with an intel 440bx chipset.

http://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/thread-1933735.php

2. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

Why not just keep the printer turned off until you need to print? Is there a reason it's turned on all the time?

3. somae

somae Private E-2

There is no on/off button on the printer - we would have to plug and unplug it (which is what we have been doing).

But, also, I like understanding how these things function.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2008
  4. somae

somae Private E-2

Update:

Someone in another forum suggested using the hp laserjet III driver and that solved the problem.

5. jmp4me

jmp4me Private E-2

If you go to the priner itself and choose "Clear Memory" from the menu options, that will do the trick.

6. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

jmp4me, welcome to MajorGeeks. Before you post, please look at the dates. This thread is close to 6 years old. I'm sure in that time, a solution was found.
    Look for threads from 2014 if you wish to help.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds