HP MediaSmart DVD - HP TouchSmart DVD

Discussion in 'Software' started by michlconk, Apr 29, 2013.

1. michlconk

michlconk Private E-2

HP Pavilion Elite HPE-112y PC.
    Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium.
    64-bit - Blu-ray Player

:confused A couple of weeks ago I tried to watch Lord of the Rings (Blu-ray) through HP MediaSmart DVD, when I put the movie in it would ask if I wanted to check for updates, so I said Yes, than it started the loading process and than asked again if I wanted to check for updates. Finally I took the movie out and went into settings, looked in updates and there was one update. So I chose the update and HP MediaSmart DVD changed to HP TouchSmart DVD. After that the movies played fine.

Now I'm trying to watch The Hobbit (Blu-ray) and again it asks me if I want to check for updates, so I took the movie out, went to settings, than update, but there is nothing there. I put the movie back in to try again and it asks me if I want to check for updates so I push no, it would say "Disc ready for playing. Press Play to start." So I press start and it goes right back to the message asking if I want to check for updates. So while the movie is still in I go to the settings, than update, and there's still nothing there.

In the Settings/Update it says that I have HP TouchSmart DVD 4.1.2.5122. I can't even find updates for HP TouchSmart DVD on the CyberLink site. Where can I check for updates? Also, do I have to update the whole HP MediaSmart Suite to get it to work (and where do I do that)? Please Help. :confused

2. michlconk

michlconk Private E-2

The Hobbit that I have is a Blu-ray + DVD Combo Pack. The DVD plays fine, but I can't get the Blu-ray movie or the Blu-ray bonus disc to play without asking to check for updates that aren't there. I even tried a different Blu-ray movie (other than Lord of the Rings) and it played just fine. I hope someone can help me figure this out? :confused

3. AtlBo

AtlBo Major Geek Extraordinaire

Kind of strange. Here:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&softwareitem=ob-89804-1

It says that the driver for the HP MediaSmart DVD is Version: 4.2.4701. This is a higher number than the HP TouchSmart DVD 4.1.2.5122 driver. The date on the MediaSmart DVD driver is 2010-12-03. I have Windows XP, but wherever your devices are in Windows 7, if you check the properties of the TouchSmart DVD driver you have installed now, you should be able to see the date of the driver. Maybe it's actually an older driver.

Were blue ray movies playing fine before the "update"(?)?

4. michlconk

michlconk Private E-2

:-o I hadn't used the player all that much but there was one Blu-ray movie that i did watch and it worked fine, but like I said early in this post it wouldn't play Lord of the Rings unless I checked for updates. Now it and other Blu-ray movies play fine except for The Hobbit.

I'm sorry, I don't know where to go to check the date on HP TouchSmart DVD.

How about I try this, I will uninstall the HP TouchSmart DVD, and reinstall HP MediaSmart DVD through the link you gave me and see what happens.

5. AtlBo

To see your system drivers, open Device Manager:

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/windows7/ht/device-manager-cp-windows-7.htm

Then under CD/DVD find the device in question listed in the list. Right click on the device and select Properties. Click on the "Driver" tab, and you should see a date there. Please post it as I'd like to see if it's newer or older than the MediaSmart DVD driver.

Yes, that is a good idea to revert to the old driver. I suspect that will solve the problem with blu ray playback. Just hope it doesn't nag you to oblivion with update messages again...

6. michlconk

michlconk Private E-2

:( Ok, I uninstalled the HP TouchSmart DVD and reinstalled HP MediaSmart DVD than I downloaded from the linked you provided but when I tried to install it, it wouldn't work. I even tried to play a movie but it wouldn't let me play anything unless I updated which updated to the HP TouchSmart DVD. All other Blu-ray movies (2012 or older) are playing fine except The Hobbit (which keeps asking for updates). Of course, The Hobbit is the only New movie we bought that came out on BD for 2013 so who knows if any other BD movies coming out this year will do the same.

------

This is what I found in the Device Manager:

Device: hp BD O DH4O3S SCSI CdRom Device & hp DVD A DH16AAL SCSI CdRom Device
    Driver Provider: Microsoft
    Driver Date: 6-21-2006
    Driver Version: 6.1.7601.17514
    Digital Signer: Microsoft Windows

I did click on the update driver for both and was told I was up to date.

7. AtlBo

michlconk:

That's really strange. It looks to me like this device is using an old Windows driver from 2006. That would explain why you keep getting the prompt for the update when you try to play blu ray. There isn't native support in Windows for blu ray, only dvd.

You might find this helpful to read. Actually, this looks a little bit like positivity:

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebo...oftware/HP-Mediasmart-Dvd-Update/td-p/1210315

Some information on TouchSmart:

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/TouchS...t-recognized-on-HP-TouchSmart-600/td-p/579077

Looks like you could be in the midst of a troubling problem...

8. michlconk

michlconk Private E-2

:( I bought my computer brand new from Best Buy in 2010. They said they would do all the updates for me before I brought it home. So you're telling me that there have been no new updates for these drives or did Best Buy miss something?

I'll check out the links you gave me and see what happens, unless you know where I can find updates for the drives.

9. AtlBo

Not sure what you are into, michlconk.

Are you sure you have the latest codecs for blu ray? You must as you mentioned you played blu ray before.

I think your next step should be to contact HP and see if you can get an answer as to what you should do. I have a long story I could tell you about HP and entertainment, but I think they're missing the big picture in some ways with the drivers for their media equipment. Personally, I wouldn't be upset with Best Buy, put it that way.

To put the story in a nutshell, I have an HP DVD840-y DVD burner/player that is a high quality piece of equipment. After I bought the unit (2008), I realized there was not a driver for it. This was apparently because Vista had been released which has native support for DVD functions. I had and still have XP, so I couldn't use the unit as a burner. I was able to find codecs and media player software etc. to use it as a DVD player and then eventually I found a good burner program that provided the compatibility I needed to be able to burn...an aftermarket driver if you will. I thought the whole business was phony honestly. XP was still going strong in 2008, and I still think HP should have written a driver for XP for the player. Well, this whole business sort of has my suspicions up that HP is not committed in the same way to driver support as are the other manufacturers. Not sure that they don't just basically quit on drivers as soon as a PC goes out of warranty or as soon as they can find any other sort of reason to do so.

I hope I'm wrong. Maybe if you contact HP, you will be able to locate the driver. At least hopefully they will make every effort to solve your problem. I would definitely mention the promise Best Buy made to you. I think Best Buy were implying that they expected HP to follow through with drivers for you.

This looks like it might be a good place to start. It's the HP customer care listing of topics for "DVD" for your particular PC:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...=4120194&tmp_qt=dvd+driver&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en

After this, here is the HP Support Forum link:

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/

10. michlconk

michlconk Private E-2

:( Thank you for trying to help me. I've done everything I could with the links you provided for HP MediaSmart DVD, but whatever I do keeps updating to HP TouchSmart DVD.

:confused As far as I know everything is up to date.

:cry I guess it looks like I'll have to contact HP and ask about updates for the DVD/BD drives, if they're able to help.

11. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

12. michlconk

michlconk Private E-2

:-o OK, I left a post on HP Support Forum. Now I wait to see how long it will take before someone gives me the right answer to my problem (if the right pleaple reply rolleyes). Hopefully they'll help me with updates and not try to have me install different software. I'll let you know how things go. Again, thank you for trying to help. :wave

13. michlconk

michlconk Private E-2

:( So far I have been given a link that says I should download ImgBurn which would check for the most recent updates for my drives. I believe it told me the most recent update might have been around 5/2006.

Then I'm told (since that might be the most recent update) that I might need to buy a new BD drive. That also means when I buy this new drive I would have to pay someone to replace it with the old drive, or ignore the old internal drive and buy a new external drive. Would that even be safe to the computer to ignore the old internal drive? Considering how tight finances are, I'll have think about it.

Nothing yet on whether I have the most recent updates for the Hp MediaSmart Software Suite. These are the versions that I have:

HP MediaSmart Version: 3.1.0.1
    HP TouchSmart DVD Version: 4.1.2.5122
    HP TouchSmart Music Version: 4.1.1.4604
    HP MediaSmart Photo Version: 4.1.2.4327
    HP MediaSmart Video Version: 4.1.2.4322
    HULU Desktop: Host Version: 0.9.14.1 - SWF Version: 0.9.15.33
    HP MediaSmart/TouchSmart Netflix Version: 1.0.2.0

:confused Also, you mention something about codecs. As far as I know, most everything is on automatic update. But just in case, where would I find my codecs for the BD and how do I check them for updates?

14. AtlBo

This link is the link to the most recent drivers for your PC. I just noticed based on the list you provided in your last post that there is an update for the MediaSmart program at this link. Scroll down to Software Solutions to give it a try. I would give this one a try:

HP MediaSmart Music/Video/Photo Application Update
    2010-02-17 , Version:3.1.2.3601, 163.56M
    YOUR CURRENT VERSION is HP MediaSmart Version: 3.1.0.1

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...n&cc=us&dlc=en&sw_lang=&product=4120194#N1043

At the same link above there is this for the Netflix app, which appears to be newer than your driver. Scroll down to Software-Multimedia for this one:

HP MediaSmart Netflix Application Update
    2011-05-26 , Version:1.0.8.0, 5.44M
    YOUR CURRENT VERSION is HP MediaSmart/TouchSmart Netflix Version: 1.0.2.0

Found this next link to a MediaSmart DVD driver which seems to be newer than your TouchSmart DVD player driver (it has a higher number), even though it is called MediaSmart DVD driver. I think I would try the other two first, since the TouchSmart DVD driver was recommended to you by HP. If those two don't work, then try adding this one, also. If all three together don't accomplish your goal, then roll them all back, and we'll have to wait for HP to reply to your post I suppose:

Released:
    2010-12-03
    File name:
    sp50935.exe [1/1, 55.85M]
    Version:
    Compatibility:
    Microsoft Windows 7 (32-bit)
    Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&softwareitem=ob-89804-1

15. michlconk

michlconk Private E-2

OK. I went through the links that you provided and this is what I got.

HP MediaSmart Version: 3.1.0.1 - Same

HP TouchSmart Music Version: 4.1.1.4604 - is now HP MediaSmart Music Version 3.1.2.3601
    HP MediaSmart Photo Version: 4.1.2.4327 - is now 3.1.2.3601
    HP MediaSmart Video Version: 4.1.2.4322 - is now 3.1.2.3601
    :confused But they are not showing up in the HP MediaSmart Icon on the taskbar. All that shows up is the DVD, HULU, & Netflix.

HULU Desktop: Host Version: 0.9.14.1 - SWF Version: 0.9.15.33 - Same
    HP MediaSmart/TouchSmart Netflix Version: 1.0.2.0 - is now 1.0.9.0

HP TouchSmart DVD Version: 4.1.2.5122 - is now 4.1.2.4701
    :confused I'm still able to play BD movies that came out Before 2013, some ask to check for updates but will play, but BD movies For 2013 still repeatedly asks to check for updates. But the HP TouchSmart DVD Version: 4.1.2.5122 is waiting to be installed and I know it will play all BD movies made Before 2013 without asking to check for updates, but will keep asking to check for updates For 2013 BD movies. I suppose I should reinstall the new version since it is actually higher then the one from the link.

Also, when I was in my programs list I found this:
    DVD Menu Pack for HP MediaSmart Video Version: 3.1.3224

rolleyes Man, this is getting annoying isn't it? I guess I'm back to waiting and seeing if someone from HP Support Forums can find something. Unless you can think of something else. Or I may just have to forget about watching 2013 BD movies until HP and/or Cyberlink finally decides to make a new update.

16. michlconk

michlconk Private E-2

:confused I tried to figure out why HP MediaSmart Music/Photo/Video wasn't showing up in the HP MediaSmart Icon on my taskbar. When I go in their properties this is what comes up:

HP MediaSmart Music Properties:
    Under General Tab:
    Description: HP MediaSmart Music Main Program
    Location: C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\HP\HP MediaSmart
    Under Shortcut Tab:
    Target: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Hewlett-Packard\TouchSmart\Media\HPTouchSmartMusic.exe" /MS
    Start in: "c:\Program Files (x86)\Hewlett-Packard\TouchSmart\Media"

HP MediaSmart Photo Properties:
    Under General Tab:
    Description: HP MediaSmart Photo Main Program
    Under Shortcut Tab:
    Target: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Hewlett-Packard\TouchSmart\Media\HPTouchSmartPhoto.exe" /MS

HP MediaSmart Video Properties:
    Under General Tab:
    Description: HP MediaSmart Video Main Program
    Under Shortcut Tab:
    Target: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Hewlett-Packard\TouchSmart\Media\HPTouchSmartVideo.exe" /MS

Is this how its suppose to be? If not, how do I fix this? Or would it be easier to reinstall the whole HP MediaSmart Software Suite and then add the updates again? If so, do you know where I can find a link to download the software?

:-o This is all messed up. Please help so I never have to touch this again until there actually is a new update.

17. AtlBo

michlconk...

Did you install the programs (drivers) I recommended in post 14? If you did, then I think you have done all you can do. Those programs were updates for the MediaSmart package...not TouchSmart. The reason I am focused on the MediaSmart updates is because they were on your PC the last time you could run a blu ray movie. I understand the player wouldn't play the most recent blu ray, but finding the newer MediaSmart drivers (newer than the ones you had) was a hope that by stepping back a little perhaps a stroke of luck would happen and that the most recent MediaSmart drivers would play the latest blu ray.

I think it's safe to say that HP doesn't have a driver for your DVD player that will enable you to play the most recent blu ray. However, if it were me, I think I would want to know if by stepping back to the MediaSmart DVD driver, I could play older blu rays. This is only so that I could explain what exactly is wrong with the MediaSmart driver and what is wrong with the TouchSmart driver.

plodr is on the right track. There seem to be a fairly large number of confused users when it comes to the HP updates for MediaSmart and TouchSmart. Stay all over HP. If they don't respond to your post there, let them know you aren't happy and hopefully they will respond. I have seen that work numerous times...:-o

18. michlconk

michlconk Private E-2

Yes, I did use the links you provided in post 14.

I had to uninstall the Music/Photo/Video that I already had and then I installed the HP MediaSmart Music/Photo/Video Update from the link you provided and ended up with what I mentioned in post 16.

The link you provided for the HP MediaSmart DVD is actually HP TouchSmart DVD Version 4.1.2.4701.

19. AtlBo

OK...

So the link I provided in 14 for the Version: 4.2.4701 of MediaSmart was actually the same TouchSmart driver as the original update recommended by HP? If so, that seems to me like a very good indication that there had never been a driver adapted for your CD/DVD/blu ray drive.

Are you back stuck with no DVD playback having installed 4.2.4701? Or do you have DVD/older blu ray capability?

The HP equipment seems really good to me. It's too bad that they don't seem to be able to come up with the drivers for the equipment, sometimes.

Just a by the way. Which media player have you been using? Is there an HP player or do you use Windows Media Player or another? Maybe you could try one of the more updated free players like Movie Player Classic or VLC to see if your blu rays will play using it...

If you can play some blu rays with the current set up (and all DVDs), I would leave it this way. You may want to grab the links to the software I suggested you install and paste them into a Notepad and then which versions the links gave you. Then add the names of the versions for the drivers you had before installing those updates (?) and then add the name of the file you used to update to TouchSmart in the Notepad. This info might help HP sort through it all...

When these compatibility problems happen, as long as you have what you had before the HP suggested update, I think it's better to have stepped back than to try to step forward in this situation...at least until you have something from HP on where these drivers are located...

Last edited: May 7, 2013
  20. michlconk

michlconk Private E-2

The link you provided in post 14 is HP TouchSmart DVD Version 4.1.2.4701, HP's recommended update is HP TouchSmart DVD Version 4.1.2.5122. I am able to play BD movies in either version just not the current 2013 BD movies.

The only device that will play BD movies is the DVD player from HP MediaSmart. Windows Media Player won't acknowledge the BD movies. MPC & VLC won't play BD movies unless I buy something that will decode it somehow and then they only play the movie itself, you are unable to go to the menu, bonus features or anywhere else.

21. AtlBo

OK...thanks for the information on MPC and VLC. I don't have any experience with blu ray. I purchased WinDVD ages ago, and I watch DVDs using it, since it doesn't require the decoding you mentioned.

I have the picture now. I think you are seriously stuck. HP would be your only hope I believe...

Googling the TouchSmart driver turned up this as I mentioned before:

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/TouchS...t-recognized-on-HP-TouchSmart-600/td-p/579077

plodr mentioned a different thread in post 11, but I think if you ask HP where these individuals (link above) got help that might be the best place to start. The thread is from back in March of 2011, and you have the same problem, only just with the newer blu rays...

Wish I could help, but the driver you seek is not where it should be on the HP site. An answer from HP as to why newer blu rays won't play, even with the latest update, is your only hope...

22. michlconk

michlconk Private E-2

:) I found my Recovery Manager so I was able to restore my HP MediaSmart Software Suite back to its original manufactured date. When I checked in settings in each software these are the versions that I found:

HP MediaSmart Version: is still 3.1.0.1
    HP MediaSmart DVD Version: 3.1.1.3317
    HP MediaSmart Music/Photo/Video Version: 3.1.1.3422
    HP MediaSmart/TouchSmart Netflix Version: 1.0.2.0
    When I tried to open the HULU Desktop it wouldn't open unless I added the update so I never saw the original version. This is the updated Version: Host Version: 0.9.14.1 - SWF Version: 0.9.15.33

Then I added the updates from the links you provided in post 14:

sp44642 update changed to HP MediaSmart Music/Photo/Video Version: 3.1.2.3601
    sp52891 update says it will be Version: 1.0.8.0 but changed to HP MediaSmart/TouchSmart Netflix Version: 1.0.9.0
    sp50935 update changed to HP TouchSmart DVD Version: 4.1.2.4701 but still has that update in settings for HP TouchSmart DVD Version: 4.1.2.5122.

:-o Hopefully, they're now all the correct versions.

Now I'm back to everything working except for the new 2013 BD movies.

rolleyes So while I wait for someone to help me at HP Support Forums I thought I would contact Cyberlink and ask them why when I try to play the new 2013 BD movies it repeatedly asks to check for an update that isn't there. Since the links provided with the HP MediaSmart Software keeps sending me to their site.

23. AtlBo

michlconk...

Thanks for the update.

That's some good news that at least you were able to get it back to playing the older blu rays.

I wish I knew of a tactic to get their attention at HP. Honestly, I know what it's like from my experience with this DVD player I have, and you without question deserve a fix for for the blu ray player.

Between the two, HP and Cyberlink, one of them will surely take responsibility for this problem. One of them owes you and the others in your position a driver.

In my experience of seeing how things happen here at MG, plodr is a genius of finding the most relevant information for users. She especially works the traditional manufacturers and software writers' boards and gets the information they have that works. When all she found was complaints, I started thinking that maybe I wasn't off base so much with what I was finding, which was the same thing...

24. michlconk

michlconk Private E-2

:( Well that was a waist of time. Apparently Cyberlink is not able to help. This is their last reply to me.

"In regards to your issue, I would like to inform you that I did not have the exact software name you are using from CyberLink. It seems that you have got some HP's software only for the Blu-ray playback and that is why the BD Advisor does not show any CyberLink software in it. Therefore, I would suggest you to please contact HP."

:( It looks like I'll have to rely on HP. And we know how reliable HP is. NOT.

:confused Isn't HP MediaSmart/TouchSmart DVD a software player? If it is, even though updates for it sends me to Cyberlink, they can't help.

25. AtlBo

michlconk...

If HP sold you the unit claiming it would play and it does not, ultimately it is HP that is responsible to fix the problem. They were responsible for the system that sent you the update, because it was installed on the implied recommendation of the OEM, HP.

I ran across a situation on another board a couple of days ago where someone needs their drivers to reinstall them, but there aren't any drivers listed on the HP site for download for the particular model. This is a multi-media family sort of tower lke yours. I was stumped. Didn't know what to say, other than get ready for a fight.

This is what I am thinking. HP has no problems supporting their business class PCs. However, these you won't find in the stores only online. Neither does HP promote them on their site. I have an HP DC7700 (a little bit older model), and the documentation is brilliant, and everything is just where it should be for the unit. That said, in the overall picture, HP is inching toward neglecting even this end of their business. Just for the record, I believe it has to do with an attempt to really push people to Windows 8...at least that there is an association with getting people to move to Windows 8. I have heard that hardware driver support for Windows 8 is amazing.

Just throwing out this perception, so that you might be able to get an idea of what you could be up against. I don't fear losing support as it is for this DC7700. It's not under warranty, but very little energy is required to keep it running. I have drivers backed up using DriverMax (wouldn't use it for anything else), and I don't think the product page is going to disappear for this PC anyway. But for more recent models running Windows 7, business class or home PCs, it's looking somewhat grim to me.

It's too much they're taking on to try bring everyone to their knees over Windows 8. Looks to me like they are failing their customers to do this, you included...

I hate being livid with anyone, personally, but I'm not sure you'll be able to get anything out of HP without taking them to the Supreme Court the way things are headed...

26. michlconk

michlconk Private E-2

:-o OK, I left a message on HP's Facebook page last Friday. Someone finally replied yesterday. So we went back a forth trying to get 2013 BDs to work on my computer.

The last thing they had me do was try a different BD software. So I tried the CyberLink PowerDVD version 13 (30 day trial), but it wouldn't let me play any BD movies, no matter what year they were. All I got was this warning:

CyberLink PowerDVD is unable to play this media because a digital video output (DVI, HDMI) is required for playback. Analog video output connectors (D-Sub, VGA, composite video, etc.) are not allowed to be used as governed by the rules of Digital Rights Management Technologies. Ensure your graphics card and display device (e.g. LCD or projector) are connected via a DVI, HDMI, or DisplayPort connector. Also make sure that your display device and graphics card support HDCP. Please click the [Information] button for more details about video output connectors and HDCP. - (Code=0121) Run the BD Advisor tool for more information.

Then they tell me according to that message, I need a HDMI or DVI connection to the monitor, and to check what kind of connection I have. So I checked and I think I have a D-sub 15-pin (VGA style) connector. So does this mean its the monitor that's preventing me from watching some of my BD movies?

Mode: 1360x768 (32-bit) (60 Hz)
    Manufacturer: Samsung
    Serial Number: H9FS726345
    Manufacture Date: Week 29, Year 2009
    Signal Type: Analog

I had a different computer before I bought HP and the monitor for that stopped working so I bought the Samsung, a few months later I had the finances to buy the HP and just kept this monitor. Now its supposedly no longer compatible with the computer.

:( Could this be true? Does this mean I have to buy an adapter or a new monitor?

27. michlconk

michlconk Private E-2

:confused Also, how do I find out if I have the right graphics card and if it supports HDCP?

This is the graphics card I have right now: ATI Radeon HD 4350

28. AtlBo

michlconk...

Is this your graphics card?

http://www.quill.com/hp-pny-nvidia-quadro-4000-graphic-card/cbs/267768.html?cm_mmc=SEM_PLA_T_267768

It looks like you have DVI capability with your card, but your monitor doesn't support the feature. You may need to ask HP about the graphics card just to make sure. I think your card does have HDCP compatibility too.

Fairly certain you just need a DVI ready monitor...

Maybe someone will come along who has experience with the HD 4350 here at Major Geeks...

:confused

29. michlconk

michlconk Private E-2

:) That's what the graphics card is called, and the couple of the ends look like mine. On the back of my computer, I believe one of them is the D-sub 15-pin (VGA style) connector (which is where I'm connected), and I THINK two others look like the DVI and HDMI.

So hopefully I'm good to go.

The person at the HP Facebook page gave me this link to look at http://www.curtpalme.com/CRTPrimer_17.shtm. At the end of the page it says the HDMI is a newer, more capable version of DVI.

Which do you think would be the best move: Getting a new monitor (do you have any suggestions)? or Should I just look for an adapter and what kind? Should I think about DVI or would HDMI be better?

It will give me something to think about until I here back from the person at the HP Facebook page.

rolleyes Hopefully this person won't suggest an HP Monitor. With the way everyone is having problems with HP products, I would have to think LONG and HARD about anything HP again.

Last edited: May 23, 2013
  30. AtlBo

michlconk...

Wait to hear from HP, but I would say you are correct that you will need a new monitor to be able to view the latest blu-ray movies using either DVI or HDMI. If you post the model of the monitor (Which model of Samsung...not the serial number), I will take a look for you to make sure, but you did mention that you thought it was VGA.

If you end up with a new monitor, in your case, I would say definitely look for an HDMI compatible monitor. You can look at the prices and see and then I guess it depends on when you think you'll be buying your next PC. If you really like blu-ray, then maybe you won't be in a rush to get a new setup when whatever is next comes out. Maybe the slight improvement of HDMI (and slight increase in price) would be better for you in that case. Also, you could start a new thread here at Major Geeks for DVI vs. HDMI and see if you can get some information from more knowledgeable members than I on the subject.

If/when you begin your monitor search, I would try these Google searches:
    best dvi monitor
    best hdmi monitor

Then you can compare the prices and make your decisions (make a list of manufacturer and model) on the ones you like the best. Once you have a good idea of the ones you like, I recommend this Google search:

[Monitor brand/model] Amazon reviews

I have always alot of success finding products that matched my needs relying on Amazon reviews. The Amazon reviews are from users, and, once you separate the bad/good reviews of Amazon deliveries from the rest, there always seems to be a wealth of excellent information in them.

By the way, I think your graphics card will support multiple monitors, so you could have a two monitor setup if you don't have another idea for it in mind...

31. michlconk

michlconk Private E-2

:confused Model: 933SN

rolleyes So far the reply from HP facebook is "Does the monitor have a DVI port? I just need to get a DVI cable and use it." Which I believe there is no port.

I'll try the search and see what happens.

Thank You.

32. AtlBo

33. michlconk

michlconk Private E-2

:-D YEP, that's the one.

:cry $$$

34. michlconk

michlconk Private E-2

:( Now this person is telling me I should look into a DVI monitor because my PC doesn't have an HDMI port. :confused Damn, I thought it did.

35. michlconk

michlconk Private E-2

36. michlconk

michlconk Private E-2

Last edited: May 23, 2013
  37. michlconk

michlconk Private E-2

38. AtlBo

michlconk...

Don't worry about the questions. That's what MGs is for.

I don't see anything between 3 & 13. 3 (VGA port) is right above 13 (DVI-D). I'm sure you are referring to something, just not sure what...

If this is exactly how the back of your PC looks (other than the PCI slots where your video card is), then you can definitely use DVI-D. I think your graphics card will support HDMI and DVI-D, but I am not 100% sure about that.

You could look for monitors that support both DVI and HDMI and you will definitely be able to use at least DVI if your motherboard is like the one shown. I am again fairly certain you can use HDMI, using your video card...

39. AtlBo

michlconk...

You must have posted just before I finished the previous one.

I wasn't sure, but I thought you would need an adapter like the one recommended by HP (for your graphics card), since the port on the card looks to be VGA in the pictures I have seen of it. However, it is advertised as DVI and HDMI capable, and the pictures of the card bundle on sites, where it is for sale, show that it comes with that exact kind of adapter in the picture...

40. michlconk

michlconk Private E-2

:-o I was wondering, did you check out the link in post 35? Do you know what that is between the VGA port and the DVI-D port? I'm just curious.

41. michlconk

michlconk Private E-2

:confused OK, I thought I'd check something out, so now I'm really confused. When I went to http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/d...t=4120194#N158 it shows me that I have the DVI-D port, But on the back of my computer it looks like the DVI-I port. Why would they do that?

42. AtlBo

michlconk...

OK...take another look at the back of your PC. You should see two sets of monitor connectors. One will be your onboard/motherboard graphics connectors, and the other will be the connectors on your graphics card...the vertical riser with the two connectors.

I think you have a DVI-D connector for your motherboard (just below the VGA connector) and then a DVI-I connector on your graphics card. This is the one to be concerned with, since it's the one you will connect to the monitor using.

So, when you check, verify that the PC's motherboard graphics has a DVI-D connector. Then check the ATI Radeon card you have to verify that it is DVI-I. Use this picture to determine:

[​IMG]

When you have verified what type of connector is there, please post here for each, your motherboard graphics and for the graphics card...

43. michlconk

michlconk Private E-2

This is exactly what it looks like on the back of my computer.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

It looks like I have the VGA port, I think that in the middle is the HDMI port?? #1, and the one on the right looks like the DVI-I (Dual Link) port #2.

There is no DVI-D (Dual Link) port (like it says in the HP Pavilion Elite HPE-112y Desktop PC Product Specifications I/O ports) on the back of my computer. Is there somewhere else I should be looking?

Last edited: May 24, 2013
  44. AtlBo

michlconk...

OK...here's what has me a little confused. This is from the link you posted of your motherboard:

Picture 1
    [​IMG]

This is from a picture of the back of your PC as shown at Newegg:

Picture 2
    [​IMG]

In picture 1 above, 3 and 13 are graphics connectors. This would be the graphics card of your motherboard often called onboard graphics. Picture 2 shows the back of your computer, but there is a printer connection and what appears to be a VGA connection (left of the printer connection) on the vertically arranged group of connection inputs toward the bottom and right. Back to picture 1, and there is no printer connector. Picture 1 corresponds the part of the back of your computer just mentioned...the vertical one bottom and right in picture 2 as shown at Newegg. Instead of a printer connection picture 1 shows VGA (3) and DVI-D (13).

The picture you just added (post 43) shows the back of a graphics card. In picture 2, this is shown center height of the back of the PC but arranged horizontally. It shows both a VGA and a DVI-I input (and also an HDMI connector). Your most recent post isn't exactly the same. So is your graphics card like the one in picture 2 linked above or exactly like the one you just posted?

I think your computer is more like picture 2 than 1 if I understand correctly. Picture 1 would just be a variation of the same motherboard arrangement you have, which I am guessing doesn't have a DVI connector of any kind...

45. michlconk

michlconk Private E-2

OK, that's just not right. I had two pictures in post 43. The attachment was suppose to be included in post 43, a picture of the back of my computer.

:-o Sorry, I found this link just a few minutes ago.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&docname=c01959711#N1422

I think it is the one we should have been looking at.

So that port between VGA and DVI-I is not HDMI, like it says under Video Graphics: ATI Radeon HD 4350: Figure #4 and #5? Of course, on the back of my computer Figure #4 is actually #2 - VGA, #1 - HDMI, #3 - DVI-I (I don't know why they say its a single link port when the picture in your post 42 shows its a dual link port).

Attached Files:

46. michlconk

michlconk Private E-2

:-o So the one between VGA and DVI-I IS the HDMI port?

47. AtlBo

michlconk...

Your picture in 45 is labelled correctly.

The HDMI port is separate and has nothing to do with VGA or DVI. You have 3 ways to connect your PC to a monitor via your graphics card on your PC. You won't be using the VGA connector (#1 in the attached picture in post 45), so you don't need to worry about that port. It just won't be used. The good news is that you already have all the connections you need on your PC for either DVI-I or HDMI.

Yes...

Here is a great video on the difference between HDMI and DVI. Hopefully this will help with your decision on which monitor to select (click on the youtube link to full screen the video...then the full screen icon on the player):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4tcpS1ygyY&hd=1

They are obviously both much better than VGA, and that's also what everyone says.

If you go with HDMI, it's a little more complicated to set up. You will need an HDMI capable monitor and then to follow these instructions:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&docname=c02013758

Here is some good reading on HDMI and DVI:

http://howto.cnet.com/2300-11310_39-10012523-4.html

Once you make up your mind what capabilities you want on your monitor HDMI or DVI-I, then you can start to look for monitors that give you that capability.

:)

48. michlconk

michlconk Private E-2

:-D I'm glad we got that figured out.

I'll take a look at the information you posted. Once I make a decision between HDMI & DVI-I, then purchase the one I chose and connect it, I'll let you know if everything worked.

Again, thank you AtlBo for your help and patience. ;)

==========

By the way, the sound isn't working for the video.

49. AtlBo

michlconk...

No need to thank.

Did you say HP recommended software to you a while back? Apologies if I have gotten a little bit lost. Seems like you said that some software HP recommended from the post you (placed on the message board at HP) made it impossible for you to watch movies.--->Is this something you've tried to fix? Just curious if the sound problem is left over from a recent software installation...

If so, I think the solution would be to take a look at what you have and then do like before and roll everything back. Basically, start on post 16-17 and go over what you did there to restore usability for last year's blu-rays...

Don't know if you will need to take a look at your add remove to remove a program, as I am not sure what you may have installed since you have had contact with HP...

50. michlconk

michlconk Private E-2

:-o No. The video on the difference between HDMI and DVI you posted in post #47 has no sound.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds