HP Notebook with Visa Won't Start-up

Discussion in 'Software' started by elfqueen33, Apr 23, 2011.

1. elfqueen33

elfqueen33 Private E-2

Hello Oh Wonderful Lords of Geekdom.
    You guys helped save my PC from a nasty malware attack. You're fantastic.
    Before getting your help my poor little HP notebook wasn't starting up properly.
    Everytime it went into sleep it would shut down and everytime I tried to start up or restart I would only ever get a blank screen (no HP logo or anything).

Only if I took out the battery and left the little bugger for a few hours. Put the battery back in and then tried would it ever (sometimes start). This used to happen once in a while and the past two months it was happening every day. I got to the point where I would take the battery out overnight and it would usually start up in the morning but...alas this stopped working too over time.

Then (dumda ta da!) I got a virus and did a system restore. Immediately restarts worked all through the cleaning process and when I tried a cold start up it worked great every day for over a week...then this morning...sadly :cry
    a no go...back to original problem! I'm not sure if this is a hardware or software issue but my suspicions rest with Visa...can any one offer me some useful advise for my poor sick notebook?

I LOVE YOU guys! Thanks :)

2. Caliban

Caliban I don't need no steenkin' title!

Greetings, elfqueen33.

Couple of quick tries:

1. Boot into Safe Mode (and/or Safe Mode w/Networking), see if your symptoms change.

2. Disable all hibernation/sleep modes, see if your symptoms change.

3. elfqueen33

elfqueen33 Private E-2

Hi, I've disabled the sleep modes already. Still same start up and reboot problem. I'm not sure what you mean by booting in safe mode...the problem is that it won't start up so I'm not sure how to get to the safe mode when it won't even turn on to begin with but I'll give it a try. Are you suggesting that I operate in safe mode with networking or are you wanting me to try a reboot from safe mode to see if the computer is still affected?

Thanks for the clarification
    Elfqueen33

4. Caliban

Hi.

Upon startup, press <F8>, which should get you to the Windows Advanced Options Menu. In that menu should be a 'Safe Mode' option - highlight that option and then press <Enter>. The machine should then boot into Windows Safe Mode - let us know if this is the case.

5. elfqueen33

elfqueen33 Private E-2

Hmmm, Computer seems to be starting normally at the moment (very glitchy) sometimes it'll work for a week every morning and other times 3-4 days in a row of no starting. Next time it doesn't work I'll try the safe mode boot option and let you know what happens. Thank you!

6. Caliban

No problem - fingers are crossed. ;)

The more I look at your symptoms, the more I'm leaning towards something hardware-related. I'd think that corrupt system files or drivers would present more often, and not so sporadically.

You might check temperatures, make sure any fans are clear and running, check all connections, drive bays, etc. If you're feeling froggy, you might try reseating any RAM modules.

Keep us posted.

7. elfqueen33

elfqueen33 Private E-2

Will do,
    the strange thing is that the problem worsened over the past few months until it was happening every time unless I removed the battery for a few hours when starting cold. But when I did a system restore the problem disappeared entirely for about a week. Then resurfaced once...I'm not sure if I'm in for another time based degradation or if it will suddenly just stop working one day! Ak. I'll get back to you. Thanks again!

ElfQueen

8. Caliban

Batteries can do really weird things - especially HP. If possible, next time it does crash try to check your Event Viewer for anything that looks as if it may be related.

Hang in there. ;)

9. elfqueen33

elfqueen33 Private E-2

Great! How do I check the Event Viewer? thanks ;)

10. Caliban

I'm on a Win 7 machine at the moment, but your path should be similar: Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Event Viewer. You might get a UAC prompt. Check for any critical errors at or near the time of the crash.

May be nothing there, but if this is a Windows issue then maybe something will jump out at you.

11. theefool

theefool Geekified

I'm kinda curious about your power savings. Anything that is related to closing the lid of the laptop, to on battery or on power, I tend to disable ALL hibernate/sleep modes. Not sure if this is the situation you are going with, but, I'm betting this is the issue. Though, I'm no betting man. ;)

12. elfqueen33

elfqueen33 Private E-2

Hi,
    so the beast didn't load up today. It's the same problem that occurred when my system first started to degrade. I turn it on, get the HP signal and the windows start up chime and then I get a blank screen instead of the user accounts options. I rebooted and started up in safe mode with networking (which is where I am now) and checked the Event Viewer. There were a lot of things in there and I'm not sure what I was looking for but I took some random things down that looked like they were a problem. Here's what I got:

Type ID Source Log

Critical 41 Kernel-Power System

Errors 4 HBtnKey System

7000 Service Control System
    ( &7001, 7009, 7011, 7022, 7026, 7030, 7031, 7034, 7043)

Warning 7 (&4) Kernel-Process System
    225 Kernel - PnP System
    1 (&42) Kernel - General System
    1 Power Trouble System

there were lots more errors etc. but only one critical. Anyway, let me know what you thing...it's all gibberish to me! Thank you.

ElfQueen

13. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Weird question and thing for you to try if you have not already, is have you taken the battery out and then plugged in the notebook with the mains adapter and then booted, as most if not all will run without the battery.

I'm also guessing that this notebook is malware free?

In Device Manager do you have any yellow ! marks by any devices, if so what?

Also as I did a look on the net about that file name in your error, please do not run any of the myriad of download applications registry fixes that you would likely see when searching for that file as they will do more harm than good.

14. elfqueen33

elfqueen33 Private E-2

Hard disks were set to turn off after 20 mins...this might have caused a problem initially....it seems that after there's one problem the condition runs on for a while and then when it starts working it works for a while...

15. elfqueen33

elfqueen33 Private E-2

No yellow '!' in Device Manager that I can see.

16. DavidGP

Hi

Have you tried what I mentioned earlier on using the laptop with no battery and plugged into the mains? trying to rule out if the battery is at fault or not.

Have you scanned for malware?

17. elfqueen33

elfqueen33 Private E-2

Hi yes I have tried everything recommended here...still no start up...the screen goes blank before I even get to see the windows icon (but I do hear the start up chime). Removing the battery doesn't change it and I have no malware on my system.

Also, system restore didn't work (though it says it restored correctly once I managed to get back into safe mode.) I'm now seeing lots of errors though no recent critical events. The errors read: Id: 447 or 476; Source: Essent; Log: Data Base Corruption.

I've tried to unload a snap-in problem: I then get unhandled exception in Managed Code Snap-In FX:{b05566ad-fe9c-4363-be05-7a4cbb7cb510}. Both for the Essent error and for the Critical Kernal Power issue.

Besides repetitive Kernal Power Critical; I also have Errors in MMI;

I'm going to continue to post on this subject in the hardware forum...it seems this is (one of) the issues:

Catalog Database (996) Catalog Database: The database page read from the file "C:\Windows\system32\CatRoot2\{F750E6C3-38EE-11D1-85E5-00C04FC295EE}\catdb" at offset 7245824 (0x00000000006e9000) (database page 1768 (0x6E8)) for 4096 (0x00001000) bytes failed verification because it contains no page data. The read operation will fail with error -1019 (0xfffffc05). If this condition persists then please restore the database from a previous backup. This problem is likely due to faulty hardware. Please contact your hardware vendor for further assistance diagnosing the problem.

18. elfqueen33

elfqueen33 Private E-2

Just found Adware.HBhelper not sure when that showed up but caught it with SuperAntiSpyware. Still I've had these other problems for a long time and originally when I scanned I didn't catch this so I think it's new (I have no protection on safe mode). Anyway, thanks for your help...I think I'm fried but I've still got my fingers crossed that I can figure something out here.

Also, I was incorrect about the critical events they are occurring every day when the comptuer doesn't start correctly. 41 Kernel Power- system.

Love and Blessings
    Elfqueen

19. DavidGP

Hi

I would follow the below as written

Our Malware Experts are very good and lets see if you have some hidden malware that they will find and cure for you, if you have the same issues still after they give you the all clear in the malware forum, then post back here in this thread.

20. elfqueen33

elfqueen33 Private E-2

As I mentioned at the beginning of this series, this is not a malware problem because I just cleaned my whole computer through that forum and they gave me the all clear...I updated everything, added all suggested virus/malware scanners. etc etc. etc....

Everything worked great for 1 week and then the same issues I had originally with this computer started up again. The new adware was just caught by my scanner that was suggested I install. Again, this is very recent and was not there at the start of these issues.

Everything here points to a hardware issue I'm just wondering how next to proceed.

I've already restored my settings to default at start up.

Thanks

Elfqueen33

Last edited: Apr 30, 2011
  21. elfqueen33

elfqueen33 Private E-2

I don't know what 'froggy' is but at this point I'm willing to try anything. How would I reseat RAM modules?

Thanks
    ElfQueen

22. iain.t

iain.t MajorGeek

Hi,
    I have uploaded a screen shot of the memory access panel,follow the instructions, I would take the Ram out and give the gold contacts a good clean with either a eraser or an alcohol wipe then re-seat it/them firmly back in place.

here also is a link to an HP service manual, not sure of your exact model, but i think they are more or less the same.....

http://www.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c00212209.pdf

iain.t :major

Last edited: Jun 5, 2011
  23. elfqueen33

elfqueen33 Private E-2

Thanks! I have an HP Pavillion tx1000.
    HP recommends the following.... I'm not sure about step number one and how to connected to an external monitor and what to do to verify if it's a graphics card problem...could anyone advise me on this? I have another monitor and/or laptop I can borrow to do this if I know what I'm doing! Thanks!

Symptom 3: LEDs glow, fan noise may be heard briefly, display remains black, and computer fails to startup or boot
    Usually occurs if a component is installed incorrectly, or there is a device conflict or failure.

Connect an external monitor to check if the problem is the built-in LCD display or graphics card.
    Remove all CD/DVDs, SD cards, USB devices, peripherals and do a Hard Reset .
    If memory or hard drive components were replaced, reinstall original components.
    Remove memory modules and replace one-at-a-time.
    Remove and reseat hard drive.
    If possible, turn on power, press F10 to enter BIOS mode, and run Memory Test and Hard Drive Test .
    On newer notebooks, turn on power, press Esc to enter UEFI mode, and run Memory Test and Hard Drive Test .
    If possible, turn on power, press F8 to enter Windows Advanced Boot Options , and select Repair Computer option, or enter Safe Mode and run Memory Diagnostics .
    If all other methods fail , but computer can boot to BIOS, use recovery disk to recover the computer to original condition.
    Note: All programs and data are destroyed during recovery.

24. iain.t

iain.t MajorGeek

Last edited: Jun 5, 2011
  25. elfqueen33

elfqueen33 Private E-2

Thanks again! I can attach it to a tv monitor no problem...but I'm not sure what I'm supposed to be doing to check for a graphics card failure...LEDs are all working. Cheers!

26. DavidGP

As you mentioned you had just found malware it is a sound area to look into as we do not know your habits but if you think you are malware free I will duck out of this thread.

27. sikvik

sikvik Corporal Karma

I have the tx 1000 and also the tx 2000. I'm almost waiting for this to happen. They both run way to hot. The tx 1000
    lost wireless connectivity a common problem and I shelled out a lot to fix.
    A while ago the tx 2000 lost wireless capability and I just bought a 30$ wireless adapter to connect!! Stopped using these machines altogether.
    I hope you do get this fixed. Posting some link about the issues you are facing.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware/Pavilion-tx-1000-will-not-boot-up/td-p/5310/page/2
    http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/220971/protest-over-failing-notebook-gpus
    http://computerlimbo.com/Thread-hp-tx1000-thermal-paste-mod-fixes-overheating?pid=1#pid1
    This fix seems hilarious. Although I will not advocate.
    http://en.kioskea.net/forum/affich-56849-hp-tx1000-boots-a-blank-screen

Cheers and good luck.

28. elfqueen33

elfqueen33 Private E-2

Do I need to a complete read and run me first every time I find adware on my computer? Isn't that what the scanners are there to pick up? Pretty sure this is not and adware problem as I noticed the issues with the pc started about a week before any adware was detected and after I had just run a complete sweep with this forum and gotten the all clear. Are you refusing to help me because I won't do a complete read and run me all over again? This is frustrating.

29. elfqueen33

elfqueen33 Private E-2

30. elfqueen33

elfqueen33 Private E-2

To iain't and other helpers:

Thanks your posts have been really helpful!

I've used an eraser to clean the memory modules, removed and replaced the hard drive, run memory and hard drive tests (all fine) and tried a system restore to an earlier point. The only glimmer of hope was a boot up option with 'last know successful specs' I saw a HP symbol at the chime and the user accounts for about two seconds before I lost the screen again.

As for running Hot, this must be closer to the problem because if left over night with the battery out the computer used to start up again fine...this hasn't been the case for over 4 days now though and I can only get into safe mode if at all...this condition seems to be getting worse and worse.

Finally do I need to attach a monitor to check the graphics card if I'm operating in Safe Mode? Here I can see the screen etc....would this then be a likely problem?

Thanks to everyone who's given their free time and energy to helping me with my PC. I really do appreciate it very much...I'm running out of ideas though and am beginning to think my PCs toast. ;( Blessings to all of you for your help. Maybe there will be a miracle! lol

Elfqueen

Last edited: Apr 30, 2011
  31. iain.t

iain.t MajorGeek

Hi,
    I just want you to try something, as this could not just be a hardware issue...

try disabling everything in startup.....

While you are in Safe Mode, click Start and type msconfig into the Start Search box then hit enter, then open up the Start-up tab and disable everything, then reboot into normal mode, and see if anything has changed...

if it boots ok go back and enable the startups one at a time hopefully this will find the culprit. you must reboot into normal mode after each enable.

I also think it could be your battery that is causing your issue as HP batteries are very glitchy,a lot of people who i have assisted that have had HP laptops have had isue that where caused by the cells failing in their batteries,causing power outages where the the machine starts but doesn't boot properly,removing the battery and just using the ac adapter and replacing the battery with a new one resolved this, I would take out and leave out the battery as it could make your issue worse.

Do you get further on in your post whist using the external monitor ??

32. Caliban

Good morning.

Good suggestions by iain.t - follow them.

I've been reading over the links posted by sikvik - it appears that you may indeed have a lemon on your hands. It's just too much of a coincidence that so many other TX1000 users have experienced the same symptoms.

Another thing you might try (in order to discern if this is a Windows problem or a hardware issue) is boot to a Linux distro. Mint, Puppy and Ubuntu are all nice and easy. Download the .iso file, and burn that file as an image to a CD/DVD (ImgBurn is a good .iso burning software if you don't already have one).

A quick tutorial for the image burning process is located here.

Then boot to that disk, and run the OS as a live environment (in other words, don't install it - just run it from the optical drive).

Put the machine through some stresses and see if any crash occurs, which will indicate if this is a hardware or a software problem.

An added plus: while you're running the live Linux, you should be able to transfer any important data to a flash drive, just in case. ;)

33. elfqueen33

elfqueen33 Private E-2

THERE'S HOPE! (Is there hope?)

(Did I mention that I love you guys?)
    ahem! So, I tried disabling startup stuff...no change..
    Only I got some weird patches of grey digits interspersed with black before closing down...

And thanks for the heads up about the battery!
    I was starting to think about sautering old pennies BUT
    I removed the battery and tried connecting to an external monitor

Hallelujah the old bugger not only worked on the monitor but the pc worked as well. I tested this a few times (with and without the montior and with and without the battery). It runs glitchy without the battery but will start up normally when plugged into the TV. With the battery in it runs smooth while plugged into the tv. (I took the battery out again just in case but I wanted to test it).

SO! What does this mean? Is this a faulty graphics card as HP suggests? Is it worth it to replace the card or will I simply have more errors to come due to over heating...ie: should I go a head with sautering pennies too? lol

Thanks again, I was ready to toss the old bugger and now I feel hopeful! Blessings all around

ElfQueen

34. elfqueen33

elfqueen33 Private E-2

Last edited: May 1, 2011
  35. iain.t

iain.t MajorGeek

Hi,
    Glad that you eventually got it responding again !!! ;).
    I would now go ahead and start retrieving any personal data/files from the machine as, as it has been pointed out, that make and model are prone to overheating and rendering it nothing more than a doorstop, but if you feel that you are confident enough to strip the machine and try the suggested fix for it, then go for it, you may get a few extra months or maybe a year or so out of it, if you do go down that route it is advisable to try and video your progress so as to know how to replace all the parts , just something i learned when i couldn't put an old machine back together a few year back :cry:cry.

To answer the question regarding .iso burning .... you need to download and install an image burning software program such as the one Caliban has suggested ......

http://majorgeeks.com/ImgBurn_d4870.html

or I use this one to do mine (just personal choice)......

http://majorgeeks.com/InfraRecorder_d6206.html

any help that is needed in the event that you decide to go ahead with the fix, just post your issue and one of us will assist you.
    Here is also a link to your models service manual...

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c00853874.pdf

36. Caliban

Yes - but you can always mention it again...and again...and again...

That could be a toughie since this is a laptop. Up to you, but sounds like you do indeed have multiple problems with this machine - I'd hate to go through the extreme hassle of repairing/replacing a laptop GPU (and possibly also the display), just to have it barf with other issues.

I think you'll find that if you're going to work with computers at any level deeper than just normal usage, some sort of Linux disk will always prove useful to have around. Linux can be a valuable tool, both for troubleshooting and for salvaging data when Windows is broken.

37. elfqueen33

elfqueen33 Private E-2

Alright...well my once hopeful HURAH! has been dashed. Still it seems to work for the moment with my external monitor...so I'll keep it till it poops out entirely (and double check for malware...just incase ;P )

What is your opinion about the best quality laptop for the best price on the market these days (in Canada)?

...the system would be mostly for email/skype/facebook; data entry, photo editing and some professional publishing like quality business brochures and books with images in them (simple software mind).

(I figure you guys have had all kinds of contact with different machines and would be the best ones to ask...alas if only I had done so BEFORE buying my little $#%^! box HP) :cry

Thanks again so much for all of your help and walk throughs. I was thinking this looks like time to toss in the towel, but I have learned so much about computers in my short time with you and I LOVE you all 'round. Thanks again to everyone who's contributed!

Blessings!
    ElfQueen :heart

38. Caliban

What kind of price range are you looking for?

39. elfqueen33

elfqueen33 Private E-2

I sort of feel at this point like the cheaper the better...but only insomuch as it gets me a good functional machine that will last. So anything from $700-$1500.
    Thank you :)

40. Caliban

Sweet little machine here: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834214062.

Of course, we could send you links 'til the cows come home. My advice would be to find a couple of good, reputable local retailers, narrow your choices down to a few likely models, and touch the machines. Ergonomics plays a huge role with laptops - find a computer that you're comfortable with, let us know what you're looking at, and we can start throwing the pros and cons your way.

41. elfqueen33

elfqueen33 Private E-2

Heya thanks for the link...this is looking closer to what I'm interested in...now to come up with the funds ;P

Would you generally recommed Toshiba over Acer?

If I'm doing some basic photo editing do I need something better than an integrated graphics card? It's hard to know where to start..I appreciate a point in the right direction!

Blessings
    Elfqueen

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds