HP Pavilion dv4-1435dx "Graphics Controller not Functional"

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by brandielaine5390, Mar 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brandielaine5390

brandielaine5390 Private E-2

My HP Pavilion dv4-1435dx is using Windows Vista

It has a dead battery and has been running off of the AC Adapter for about a year or longer and, of course, has been unplugged on many occasions, cutting the power completely and I'm sure that has something to do with my problem.

I turn it on now and it runs (you can hear the fan, and the lights all come on) but the screen doesn't come on. After a few seconds the lights next to the CAPS LOCK key and above the NUM LOCK key blink 4 times, stop, blink 4x, stop...so on and after looking it up on the HP sight I find that it's a blink code meaning "Graphics Controller not functional". I (of course) have no idea what this means and proceed with the suggestions on the website including troubleshooting the memory slots, hard reset, and taking apart the entire computer to clean the fan (much needed) and still nothing. I'm a little more than frustrated and need help. I have NO money to have it repaired and was hoping someone could give me the DIY option so I could avoid trying to sell it for parts. I REALLY want to fix it. Someone PLEASE HELP and remember that I am NOT a "computer know it all" or anything so you may have to dumb it down a little for me.

PS I've found, while searching for a solution, that HP is a piece of poop and offers no help at all unless you're willing to pay with your soul, a couple of arms, and a leg. They can suck it at this point. I'm too broke for that mess.

2. the mekanic

the mekanic Major Mekanical Geek

As the graphics hardware is integrated into the motherboard, you would have to replace the board itself. The graphics adapter is what processes data into what you see on the laptop screen. You've already gone through the basic steps I would suggest including reseating any and all hardware which could be jarred loose.

The board could run anywhere from $100 refurbished, to upwards of $250 brand new. Replacing motherboards on laptops is not a simple task, and you also have the battery issue to contend with.

:(

3. brandielaine5390

brandielaine5390 Private E-2

Oh my gosh! Thank you so much! You are the first person to give me any kind of answer and actually HELP. :) I think that settles it though. I think I should list it and sell it for the parts. I've lost count of how many times i've taken it apart and cleaned and shuffled hardware...I think I'm throwing in the towel.

Thank you thank you thank you!!!!!

4. a2dogs

a2dogs Private E-2

Juggle the RAM
    I just fixed the identical prob on my DV4 for free.
    I popped the RAM door and removed the bottom stick, Booted laptop. It worked. Exchanged RAM, put other stick in top slot. Booted laptop. It worked. Then I put the stray RAMstick in the bottom slot. Now they are both full. It booted fine and is working as if nothing happened. Dunno why it thought the graphics wouldn't POST.

5. the mekanic

the mekanic Major Mekanical Geek

:banghead

6. bostonboy

bostonboy Private E-2

Hello everyone! This is my first post here.
    I have an hp pavilion dv4 that was getting the same black screen and the keyboard caps/numlock simultaneous blinking. In my case, my HP Pavilion dv4 was blinking 4 times which according to the HP code list, meant that it was a "graphics controller failure"; however, thanks to a2dogs who posted in this thread that they removed the RAM, switched them around, etc. I wish to convey my deepest appreciation to a2dogs for their post, because it resolved my issue!
    It wasn't the failure of the graphics controller at all, as was indicated by the keyboard caps/numlock simultaneous blinking 4 times. I unseated the top RAM stick and replaced it with the bottom stick, leaving the top slot empty (for now until I buy another RAM stick). Powered it up, Bios screen posting appeared! It was a pleasant surprise after disassembling & reassembling the dv4 all night! So again, THANKS a2dogs!
    -bostonboy

7. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

Welcome to Major Geeks. :)

I'm glad you found the solution to your problem.

PS...I have deleted all other posts after your thank you post as they are unnecessary and am going to lock this thread since it's old.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds