HP Pavilion Graphics Controller Not Functional

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by beyondred, Aug 6, 2011.

1. beyondred

beyondred Private E-2

Hi
    I have an HP Pavilion with the same problem, Mine was under extended warantee. I sent it in, first they replaced the MB, that didn't work.
    Then 2nd time, I have no Idea what they did, Fans and something else.
    I think they just took it to make me happy, still didn't work, (each time it worked for a week or so) 3rd time, There again I have no Idea if they did anything at all.
    Still Not working when I got it back.
    They did give me a report of everything they tried, I don't remember right now.
    They gave me my money back and let me keep the computer.
    I can get it to work, sometimes for a day, sometimes for a few months.

I like it so much better than the one I replaced it with, has more of everything.
    It ran Vista. Still have it still like it when it runs.

I to got the 4 flashes for error message,but one time I had one solid light... they don't say what that is.
    I hear the fans, I just started it and now I get 3 flashes.?????
    I don't think it was the MB unless the one they replaced on mine was bad also.

2. gman863

gman863 MajorGeek

It's time to take off the geek hat and put on the p:***ed off consumer one. :boxing

Read the terms in your extended warranty. As a veteran of large store electronics retail sales, I remember most extended warranties have a "no lemon" or "three strikes" clause that states if the product fails three times under the extended warranty (as yours has), the extended warranty company is obligated to replace it with a brand new model of equal or better specs.

This is sometimes easier said than done. First, bring the dead PC (along with copies of the three repair tickets) back to the store where you bought it. You may have to escalate to (demand) a chat with the Store Manager over this.

If unsuccessful, immediately send letters with a demand for replacement to:

• The store's corporate headquarters, attn: CEO/President. Send this copy Certified Mail, Return Receipt Requested.
    • A copy to the extended warranty plan administrator (address will be buried in fine print on your extended warranty contract). Again, send Certified Mail, Return Receipt.
    • A copy to the Attorney General of your state. This copy can be sent via regular mail.
    In all three copies, be sure to include copies of the extended warranty contract (with the "no lemon" clause circled) and copies of all the repair orders.

At the bottom of the letter (below your signature), be sure to type:
    cc: (Attorney General's Full Name)
    Attorney General
    State of (State Name)
    Your State Attorney General's Name and mailing address is easily found by Googling "(name of state) Attorney General."

The copy sent to the Attorney General should light a fire under everyone's a:*** -- this worked for me; within 10 days of sending the letters I received a refund of the orig. purchase price of a DVD recorder that had been sent to service and held for over three months (about $200).

Good luck. Hope this helps. :)

3. beyondred

beyondred Private E-2

Thanks for the answer, I think you miss understood part of my post.
    They did give me my money back, I wish they would of replaced it.
    I don't like the computer that I bought.
    They did let me keep the old computer. I like it so well, I want it running
    again.

To further the story. Reading last night, when trying to turn the computer on I get the sound of the fan trying to start, now there is some noise not sure what it is??
    I found how to tell error codes I tried this several times, I came up with different codes, First last night I would get 4 flashes, the next time 3 the next time 2 then 4 again, today when I started this I got 1.
    I have no Idea why there would be so many.
    Here is what they are said to mean.
    (I took this off a post at the HP website)
    LED codes - When your system boots, it may show flashing LED's. They're not just for show or part of the problem - their are specific LED's and flash patterns to indicate specific problems. Note if yours has any after attempting to boot, and check them against these codes:

LED Component Error Condition

Blinking battery power LED Battery Insufficient charge on the battery

Blink: 1 - Caps Lock/Num Lock CPU CPU not functional

Blink: 2 - Caps Lock/Num Lock BIOS BIOS corruption failure

Blink: 3 - Caps Lock/Num Lock Memory Module error not functional

Blink: 4 - Caps Lock/Num Lock Graphics Graphics controller not functional

Blink: 5 - Caps Lock/Num Lock System board General system board failure

Blink: 6 - Caps Lock/Num Lock BIOS BIOS authentication failure

I've had all codes but 5 AND 6.
    can anyone help?
    Thanks

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds