HP Pavilion headphone jack

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ankushl, May 28, 2013.

1. ankushl

ankushl Guest

Hello...i did not find a thread for a hp laptop...my laptop's headphone jack has stopped working...before, i used to get sound output from both the jack and the speakers, but i gave it for repair and it has stopped working altogether...my understanding is (and from what i have read online about pcb) that laptops being complex machines, use dual layered pcb or a multi-layered pcb which makes it difficult to replace components...however, i am confused now as the jack does not work at all...any ideas as to what might be the issue? i had checked the software a long time back before giving the laptop for repair but the problem continued, which meant that physical jack itself was not working properly...

2. gman863

gman863 MajorGeek

Welcome to Major Geeks!

Double check in CONTROL PANEL > DEVICE MANAGER (or CONTROL PANEL > SYSTEM > HARDWARE > DEVICE MANAGER in XP) to be sure the audio driver(s) are installed.

If the problem persists and it's a hardware issue, the easiest and cheapest fix is to purchase an external USB sound card. It will not power the internal speakers; however it will allow you to use headphones or external speakers.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829118008

Hope this helps. :)

3. mdonah

mdonah Major Geek Extraordinaire

Also, you didn't state whether the laptop's speakers are still working — are they?

4. ankushl

ankushl Guest

thanks for your help guys, i forgot to mention that my laptop has windows 7 home basic and yes, the internal speakers are working...the audio drivers are installed otherwise the internal speakers would not be working...

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds