HP Pavilion Slimline - ANYone dismantled one?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by zapp, Jan 12, 2011.

1. zapp

zapp Staff Sergeant

I'm trying to R/R the optical drive in a Pavilion slimline, and this is the first one I have seen. The simplest of things has me stopped cold. The field manual shows that one of the first steps is to remove the auxiliary "Pocket Media Drive" [PMD] device cage that sits vertically at the forward left corner of the chassis. It has one plastic [very flimsy] tab at the bottom. The manual says to pull the tab UP and the bay will dislodge. That did nothing, but I did manage to break the tab which took about .03 ft. lbs of pressure.... :( .
    Looked up youtube vids and found one [only one so far] of a young guy removing that part, and he pushed the tab down and sideways instead of pulling as the manual says. His was visibly wobbly like the cage had been out before and was just sorta sitting there. Needless to say, the vid did nothing to help the situation.

I'm stumped. I've looked around it, under it, through the interior, and can't find the trick to disengaging it from whatever is holding it in.

Second, similarly I removed the ONE screw that is supposed to be there for the ODD, and monkeyed with the tab on the other side, but its stuck fast. I'm guessing there is an interlock between the extra device cage mentioned above and the ODD. The manual [http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c00877796.pdf ] verbally mentions a tab, but the picture doesn't show which tab disengages the ODD. Apparently its not the one prominently in view on the side opposite the PMD. Tweaking that one does nothing... it may be associated with the hard drive which is underneath all this stuff.

Any help or tips would be appreciated.

2. tgell

tgell Major Geek Extraordinaire

Hello,
    Have you tried the disassembly instruction here. The 5000 slim series has a section on removing a card reader but I am not sure if it is what you have.

3. zapp

zapp Staff Sergeant

I finally got it, but that skinny tab broke into three pieces.

THEN the mboard apparently died - it was awful ... like having a patient on the operating table about to get well, and suddenly dies.
    It turns out [looking at many forum messages] that these nvidia-core-logic slimlines suffered early death, and result in some cross-suits - dell, hp, nvidia.. the customer didn't know he had one of those and that HP had extended the warranty for a time. ended late 2009.

thanks for trying to help!

4. azmab

azmab Private E-2

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds