HP Pavillion DV9000 Pink Lines/Screen

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Bunti, Dec 27, 2010.

1. Bunti

Bunti Private E-2

Hello, I bought a Pavillion DV9000 about 3 years ago, About 12 months agomy laptop got pink lines on the screen, about 10 lines, i sent it away to get fixed, i am not sure what they did to it, i forget but when i got it back the WHOLE screen was pink, i could see the screen but it was all pink. I couldn't return as the company went bust so i left it for 12 months, I have ordered a new screen and i am going to be replacing it myself, So i took the screen apart by following a tutorial on Youtube and on the right hinge there was a cable which was trapped under the hinge, i removed all the cables and removed the screen from the laptop and will be fitting the new 1 tomorrow but iv'e read things on t'internet saying it could be Graphics Card's and more things. So i am sceptical if it is actually the screen? What do you think?

Thanks very much.

2. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

These models had a graphics card problem, and you can see on youtube,several amateur, and possibly some professionals showing ways to remedy it.
    It is very possible that the screen will be an expensive no-go, I am afraid.
    Basically the gpu solder is suspect on these, and it is most often a case of re-soldering- not for the average amateur.

3. Bunti

Bunti Private E-2

Ahh, just what i didn't want to hear :(, So what do you recommend? I can return the screen within 14 days and i haven't even received the screen yet, it is coming tomorrow.. from a repair shop locale to me. Should i return the screen, get a refund and explain to the store that i had pink lines all over the screen? i have already took the screen of the laptop now, i guess my best bet would be to take my laptop down to the store, explain what was happening and see what they say? i have 14 days to return the screen so i shall keep it just encase they tell me it is the screen?

What you think?

thanks man

4. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

Yes, in my opinion, the repair shop should know about the graphics faults from the dv6000 to the dv9000 series- just google yourself for something like graphics problem with Pavilion dv9000 and I am sure you will find many instances regarding it.
    Just another thought- if you have a monitor that you can connect to the vga socket at the back of the laptop- try that first- if you get a good picture- then its not the graphics chip

Last edited: Dec 27, 2010
  5. Bunti

Bunti Private E-2

Yeah, I'm taking a look at now, haven't found anything yet with like my problem (pink lines) but there is plenty of evidence about the graphics problem on the internet. Would it be possible for the store to test the if it was the graphics card without a screen? what i meen is can they connect the laptop upto a screen quickly to test what it is as i have took the screen of?

thanks..

6. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

7. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

Yes, they connect to the vga socket on the rear of the laptop- the last post I just gave you shows HP site and pink screen was include in failing gpu (solder problem)
    They recommend using a laptop cooler under this series.

8. Bunti

Bunti Private E-2

Ah ok sounds good, thanks for the links...and exactly what is the part the will need replacing ? sort of a newbie when it comes to all this, i just paid 110 for a new screen, will the new part be as much or more?

thanks..

9. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

Those two links offered a price- but try your local, if he is pretty good - not a main dealer, though, as they would probably send it away, IF they were prepared to entertain it.

10. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

It is the gpu chip (graphics processor unit) --a square bit that shows on the board, if you watch the last video.

11. Bunti

Bunti Private E-2

Thanks for all your help pal :), Gunna take a trip down and explain it all, they are a pretty big shop for a laptop repair center, all professional as i can see : -

http://www.laptop-power.co.uk/

Is it worth putting the screen back on or just taking it down as it is?

Thanks..

12. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

I would put it back together, so that they can see the fault, but I could not see that that company actually did repairs, just parts- if you check them out, then good luck.
    It could help, if you show them those links that I gave you, especially the last video- then they can say whether they can either do the repair, or, they cannot.
    Good luck

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds