HP Pavillion Laptop Beeping

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by andysmeth, Oct 29, 2009.

1. andysmeth

andysmeth Private E-2

Hello
    I was wondering if someone could advise please;

We have a HP notebook and there is a constanting beep beeping at startup. It happens so fast that it's sometimes impossible to press F10 to enter the BIOS. The beeping will continue and then stay on a black screen until a key is pressed which then it will launch into Windows XP as usual.

it has had a fresh install of two different types of windows and beeping continues, which makes me think of harware, graphics card or maybe ram?

Also, before and after install, the windows help will keep launching as if a key is stuck. I have checked all keys including F1 and none of them seem stuck.
    Plus the beeping stops once in windows.

I have checked fan temps etc and all are normal. What should I be checking next? Is there any software that might tell me what the hardware issue may be?

Many thanks
    Andrea

2. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle MajorGeek

The beeping you are hearing is commonly known as a BIOS Error Beep Code:

http://www.pchell.com/hardware/beepcodes.shtml
    http://www.google.com.au/search?q=B...s=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&client=firefox-a

They act as an initial indicator that something is not right with the hardware and they do stop once you enter the OS.

You need to try and determine the "sequence" of the beeps an your specific make of BIOS to begin to isolate the problem. Your BIOS make will normally be flashed up right at the start during the POST sequence and from there you can try to assess the codes.

Two of the most common "repeated beep" sequences are associated with RAM or Video problems.

Hopefully I have pointed you in the right direction and you can attain greater resolution.

3. andysmeth

andysmeth Private E-2

Thank you. those links are very helpful.

I've checked the hardware by doing the HP health check and memtest. It checks everything out ok, which seems strange to me. There seems to be no sequence to the beeps. It's just a constant beep beep.

Would you rely on the HP tests?

4. pclover

pclover MajorGeek

Did you find what may have been causing the issue?

5. andysmeth

andysmeth Private E-2

Thanks for replying. No nothing as yet. I've updated my post below. The Hp health check says memory and video all ok. I'm just lost now as to what it may be.

6. pclover

pclover MajorGeek

So your laptop is powering on?

7. andysmeth

andysmeth Private E-2

yes. it gives constant beeping but if I press a key on the keyboard it will then launch normally into windows

8. pclover

pclover MajorGeek

Maybe a key is stuck on the keyboard?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds