HP Pavillion Power Puzzle

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by wrm1358, Feb 9, 2006.

1. wrm1358

wrm1358 Private E-2

I have an 18 month old HP Pavillion zx5000. Here are the tech specs from HP:
    Mobile Intel Pentium 4 3.06-GHz processors with 512-KB L2 cache, CD-RW, and running XP (Home) with required patches (for the most part).

Here's my problem: I began having problems with the system "rebooting" in the middle of doing something about a week ago. At first I thought it might be a virus, but a Symantec scan in Safe mode did not find anything. I realized it happened while using AC power and now I can not get the notebook to stay on AC power unless I position the cord "just so". I'm thinking it is the power cord (I hope) but it could very well be the connector inside the notebook.

Anyone know how I can confirm? Where I can find reasonably priced replacement parts?

Thanks

2. MrsHamill

MrsHamill Private E-2

I've seen this on both HP and Dell laptops, and nearly every time it's been a connector broken in the power slot. I've fixed at least four of them by re-soldering the connector (it always seems to be the same one in fact, in the northeast corner).

The good news is that it's easily fixable but the bad news is you need a hardware geek to fix it. If you can, do try a different power supply, but my money is on the connector.

3. wrm1358

wrm1358 Private E-2

I just had the power supply and cord checked and you are indeed correct. It is the connector pin on the back of the laptop (ouch) and I am told it could take as long as a 1-3 weeks to repair (depending on whom you ask.) (Sigh :rolleyes:)

Thanks for the quick reply.

4. MrsHamill

MrsHamill Private E-2

You're welcome... wish I could have helped more!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds