Hp print driver & .exe file problem

Discussion in 'Software' started by Mdub, Jul 25, 2011.

1. Mdub

Mdub Private E-2

for several days I've been getting the window "choose the program you want to use to open this file". It comes up constantly, whenever I open something.

I am also trying to load the hp disc that came with new printer = Hp deskjet 3054, and the cd will not load. It gives me the same window I mentioned above. Really annoying. Any help would be awesome. Thanks....

2. falconattack

falconattack Command Sergeant Major

Hi , run it !! :cool

http://support.microsoft.com/mats/windows_file_and_folder_diag/en-us?entrypoint=lightbox

3. Mdub

Mdub Private E-2

It appears to be "registering MATSShim.SBD" but a window popped up = "fix it troubleshooting cannot continue because an error occured" "we're sorry, but the required MS fix it components failed to install"

Progress bar as to "registering MATSShim.SBD" is still moving though....

4. iain.t

iain.t MajorGeek

Hi,
    Try running Ccleaner ... http://majorgeeks.com/download4191.html ... select Registry then scan for issues if any issues are found click fix issues and when prompted to save the problems before deletion DO SO!!! after running that and you still have the original issue try this....

If you have an XP install CD for your version of Windows, you can run the System File Check. Insert the XP disc in your CD/DVD drive, close the window that will open, click Start > Run, type cmd and press Enter. In the command prompt window, type sfc /purgecache and press Enter to clear out any potentially corrupt files from the system file cache. This rarely takes more than 2 minutes. When it finishes, type sfc /scannow and press Enter. This typically takes at least 30 min, usually longer. Do not cancel the process, do not restart the PC during the process. If you get messages like "insert Windows XP install CD" and they continually pop up over and over, try moving the XP disc to the 2nd CD/DVD drive (if available).

iain.t :major

5. Mdub

Mdub Private E-2

iain.t - -

thanks....but it wont even let me open ccleaner! Still get the window "choose what program you want to use to open this file"

6. tgell

tgell Major Geek Extraordinaire

Hello,
    This fix is for XP only. Your exe file association is probably screwed up. Download this registry fix. Unzip and double click. This may not work because your exe association is not working.

Another way to install:

In regedit you can then go to File>Import and select the registry file you unzipped.

http://www.dougknox.com/xp/file_assoc.htm

7. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

What Windows version and Service Pack are you using?

Does this happen only with CDs with exe files or exe files on your PC HDD as in say explorer.exe ? as this will link to all exe files being corrupted, which I don't think is the case for you.

If only the CD and you are using Windows Vista/7 then it could be the old autorun installers that these CDs have, what you need to try is to just in Computer right click the CD/DVD drive and choose Open then navigate to the setup file for the driver/software. Or as the drivers are generally old versions on the CDs that come with hardware is to download the lastest off HPs support site HERE just need to choose your Windows version in the dropdown.

8. Mdub

Mdub Private E-2

DavidGP & tgell....

My OP is Vista. I will try your suggestions now. Before I try just wanted to inform you that Im NOW getting this window when I click on almost anything===="This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Create an association in the Set Associations control panel"

What does that mean? I started getting this after I ran spybot. I've used it many times in the past with no probs.

I'll try your suggestions now......

Thanks for the responses.

9. Mdub

Mdub Private E-2

I still cannot open anything. I still get "This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Create an association in the Set Associations control panel".

Can someone please help with this problem? I received an email saying I had a response in the forum, but when I came to the forum there was no response. Weird.rolleyes

10. tgell

tgell Major Geek Extraordinaire

You can try the fixes listed here.

Download the 4 reg files. Try the first and if that does not work proceed to the next. If you cannot double click the files to import the files into the registry. Do the following as listed in my previous post.

Then you can import the file into the registry under File>Import.

11. iain.t

iain.t MajorGeek

Do you have or can you get a hold of the OS install disc for your version of ,Vista ?? maybe a repair install of your OS may fix your issue, a repair install should not effect any of your programs/software or personal files, all it will do is restore the registry to its original configuration when the OS was installed.

Hello tgell didn't see you lurking there :-D.

12. iain.t

iain.t MajorGeek

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds