HP Software Installation Errors

Discussion in 'Software' started by linuxpowers, Jan 11, 2013.

1. linuxpowers

linuxpowers Corporal

I have a windows 7 computer and somehow I was able to install HP software on it when I had my printer directly connected via USB. I could print and scan with no problems. Recently, I added a Linux computer and decided to connect everything via Ethernet cables to a router.

The problem I'm having now is that the windows computer will not initiate scans on the printer, just print jobs. I checked out the IP address and was able to initiate scans from there but, the software is having communications issues.

I decided to uninstall the software and try to reinstall an updated version but now I keep getting installation errors stating, "The system cannot find the specified file." I wanted to make sure that all instances of HP were wiped from my hard drive but I find some registry keys still hanging around..."HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/HP".

Would it be alright to manually delete these references in my registry? (after backup of course) and am I in the right end of the ballpark on this issue?

2. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

If the printer is connected to the Linux machine, yes you can have problems with the printer & HPLp driver in linux.

If the printer is not a Network capable printer via Ethernet or Wifi, or is a older model, yes you can have problems on the Linux machine doing network scanning. We have a Officejet 4500 G510n-z wifi printer and never had problems doing network scanning with Ubuntu or Windows 7.

Really need more info as in, what version of Linux are you using, how is the printer connected, what model of printer also.

3. linuxpowers

linuxpowers Corporal

The printer is now connected to a router, as well as the both computers. It was at one time connected directly via USB to the windows machine and was shared with the Linux machine. I just recently changed all that and connected everything to the router. The linux machine has no issues with printing or scanning, just the windows machine, and I do believe it's a software issue with windows.

This printer is Network and Bluetooth capable.

Well, I'm using the latest version of Ubuntu but like I stated, the Linux machine is not having issues, just the windows machine and, only with the software. The printer is a HP Photosmart 3210 All-In-One.

My thinking is I that I have stuff still in the registry that says the printer is connected via USB. So, when I try to install the software/driver, the installer is balking because it can't find the printer. If I remember correctly, during the installation process, the HP software eventually asks how I have the printer connected...USB/Network....but, I can't get that far in the process. I keep getting an error code that says, "The system cannot find the file specified". When I click on the "Details" of the error message, I get:
    Code:
    Error Situation Code: xxxxxxxxxx
    and in the body of the window it says,
    Code:
    +00000000000585728|s|Now 
    Launching=X:\blockuserinstall.exe -| XXX -f "X:\hpoins19.dat"
    -Validate No at" -Validate No
    LaunchApp("X-\blockuserinstall.exe" -| XXX -f
    "X:\hpoins19.dat" - Validate No at" - Validate No
    Exit Code=2
    After that, the installer starts and stops the print spooler and then removes my printer from my list of printers. I have to go back and "Add Printer" by providing IP Address/Host Name.

Hope I'm not getting to confusing with all this....and thanks for any assistance!

4. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

You need to uninstall all traces of the software and driver for that printer from the windows machines, also make sure the printer is properly setup for the network connection.

5. linuxpowers

linuxpowers Corporal

I've run IOBit -Uninstaller and it appeared all HP entries was removed but, I found entries still listed in the registry. CCleaner found many but still some are still left behind!

At any rate, trying to install updated software keeps giving me the same error..."System Cannot Find The Specified File"

I do have one idea....how about I restore back to when I still had the software already installed and then run the new installer....shouldn't it remove the old software before installing the new? Just a thought!

6. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

Yes, always remove the old software, then reinstall the fresh install, so that you can install the printer properly.

7. linuxpowers

linuxpowers Corporal

I said:
    You said:
    ?

8. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

That means that you have to go in and manually find the info in the registry, and the appdata folder in your user profile on Windows.

9. linuxpowers

linuxpowers Corporal

Mmmm, something else must be amiss. I've deleted everything I could find relating to HP but still the installation software gives me the same error.

So, I decided to go back and connect the usb cable to the printer again. I only disconnected the usb cable from the printer end so connecting it back up caused windows to load the driver etc. Now, I noticed some things have changed. For one thing, Photoshop can now run the scanner! Even Microsoft Fax and Scan will scan an object. Neither of these would recognize the scanner with just a network connection.

But, since I like to scan documents (sometimes multiple) into a PDF file format, neither of these programs will serve me fully. So, I decided to try another program and just forget about HP's. I installed Scan2PDF and everything is working just right...even though Scan2PDF is a bit cumbersome, it still does the job!

I would like to get HP's software back but that will take me some time to figure out what the problem is on that. If you, or anyone else for that matter, have any other ideas, I would be willing to try anything. Otherwise I am back up and running!

Thanks brownizs for your time and patience. This is not the first time you've jumped in and assisted me with issues...your definitely a gentleman and a scholar and your attributes are only exceeded by my good looks! :cool

10. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

11. linuxpowers

linuxpowers Corporal

From HP...
    Plodr, from what I read, this wizard allows windows to detect the network printer and install it. But, my problem is not that I can't get the network printer recognized, I have no problem with that. I can install the printer over and over by adding a printer through the Control Panel (Devices and Printers) and pointing it to the HOST Name or IP Address. Once installed, I could use my browser and point it to the IP Address of the printer and see that it was installed correctly on the network.

My problem is just with the HP software itself! The software allowed me to scan documents/images in multiple formats, detected ink levels etc. Now, for some reason, the software installer keeps giving me an error and fails to install. I believe it's due to a poor uninstall in the first place.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds