HP System Recovery; STOP: c0000218

Discussion in 'Software' started by d6g2, Nov 25, 2006.

1. d6g2

d6g2 Private E-2

Hi everyone,

Recently I tried to run my system recovery which was not working because of the following error:

STOP: c0000218 {Registry File failure} the registry cannot load the hive (file): \systemRoot\System32\config\security or its log alternative. It is corrupt, absent, or not writeable.

Please, advise the possible fixes. My goal is to restore the system to the state it was when I bought it brand new.

Computer is three years old, model HP Pavilion a230n, 120GB, 2800GHz, 512MB. Windows XP-Home was preinstalled. I don't have a CD.

2. d6g2

d6g2 Private E-2

Has anybody experienced similar problem with the system recovery? Thanks for any help!

3. Kniht

Kniht Sergeant

Have you tried contacting HP and let them know of the STOP error?

I have an HP and everytime I contact them with even a minor problem they always say "do a system recovery". Seeing as how this is their answer for everything, they should be able to tell you what you need to do.

4. d6g2

d6g2 Private E-2

Hello:
    Since you're familiar with HP system restore, could you tell me whether it can restore the system to the state it was when I packed out the box brand new? I was told it could do that. I Never used system restore before so I don't know what exactly it does. Thank you.

5. Kniht

Kniht Sergeant

System Restore won't take your system back to factory settings, but it may take you to a point before the corruption occurred. If it does, then you should be able to use the Recovery feature and not get the error message.

Go to Start >> All Programs >> Accessories >> System Tools >> System Restore

Be sure the radial button "Restore my computer to an earlier time" is checked.

Click "Next", select a restore point from the calendar (the dark numbers are set restore dates) you may want to go back a ways since you don't know when the corruption occurred.

Click "Next", A System Restore message may appear that lists configuration changes that System Restore will make. Click OK.

On the Confirm Restore Point Selection page, click Next. System Restore restores the previous Windows XP configuration, and then restarts the computer.

After the restart, see if you can use the Recovery feature without the error message popping up.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds