HP: Windows XP logs out automatically

Discussion in 'Software' started by tburns517, Jan 9, 2010.

1. tburns517

tburns517 Private E-2

Hi, I'm new to the forums and I am having a problem with Windows XP. The other day I turned on my computer and was on it for a bit. Suddenly a red X in the corner of my screen pops up saying my computer is infected. Shortly after that the Internet Security 2010 virus pops up. It shut down my desktop leaving all desktop icons unclickable, and changed the background to a dark blue screen. I tried restarting the computer, but it only gets to show the desktop's original background, then logs out. It fails to start up in safe mode, or last good config too.

After doing some research I found some more information about this problem. My registry value is not aiming at this:
    HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon
    leaving me unable to login. Also, I figure that "C:\WINDOWS\system32\userinit.exe," was changed to something else as well.

My main question is: How can I get into my computer and change this?

I downloaded and burned BartPE on a CD from
    http://www.paulscomputerservice.net/index.php?body=./os/autoLogoff.php
    I don't know if putting in this CD would help me at all, but I just don't know how to start it up, since I can't get into my computer.

I have an HP, and it has a recovery console, but I do not want to lose any of my information! Maybe I'm confused on how the recovery console works. I just need some help! I'm totally confused and have never had this problem before!

Thank you.

2. rustyjack

rustyjack MajorGeek

Depending on what PC/LT you have you may have to contiualy press any of the following keys to enter your bios, F1 F2 F11 F12 then when you have the bios page you have to change it to boot from CD then reboot with CD installed, then follow the instructions from there on in !

Hope this will help you out cheers Rusty ! ;)

3. tburns517

tburns517 Private E-2

I got to the CD, now I just don't know what to do from there. I got to deleting the Internet Security 2010 file in Program Files, and I made sure that "userinit" wasn't changed. What else am I missing? Nothing is working.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds