hrd drv making noises

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by vinny70, Nov 8, 2009.

1. vinny70

vinny70 Private E-2

I am currentlly reformating a 120 gig hard drive and it is clicking and sqeacking. Is that a bad sign?

2. Puppywunder58

Puppywunder58 Master Sergeant

Yes, time to buy a new HD.

3. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

Not a good sign. What brand is the HD? Roughly how old? You probably want to run the manufacturer's diagnostic utility. Sometimes it can get some extra time out of a HD by correcting errors but I wouldn't trust anything important to a clicking HD even after correcting errors.

4. vinny70

vinny70 Private E-2

I'm not sure what brand i htink western dig. don't know how old either it took a dump on my buddy in his tower. I was able to hook it up as a slave and retrive the info he wanted off it but I could really use the space and was hopeing refomating and reinstalling windows i could use it as a server on my network

5. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

If it's WD and hooked up as slave; try the Windows version of the diagnostic tool. Run the Short and then the Long test. The Long test will try to correct any errors. Since you want to use it for an OS I think it would be worth the time to do a low level/write zeros format. That will put it in the best condition possible in terms of correcting any fixable problems.

If it isn't hooked up as slave anymore get the bootable CD of the DOS version and run that one.

I wouldn't put anything valuable on it. As soon as my OS HD gives any sign of problems I buy a replacement but I usually keep the old one for extra space for data for a while. I had a clicking HD that I let the utility fix errors on and it is still running 2 years later. I only use it for downloaded stuff that is replaceable but apparently it was not in as bad shape as I would have thought. Good Luck!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds