http 403 forbidden error

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by gamegodessss, Feb 25, 2012.

1. gamegodessss

gamegodessss Private E-2

I am trying to open spywarehammer and all I can access is home page. I cannot log in or access any other pages. All I get is a 403 forbidden error and I get it on both my pc's. I have accessed this site hundreds of times in the past. I am registered there. Can anyone help me out with this?

2. kipfeet

kipfeet Corporal

Before trying the things in paragraphs labeled 2) 3) and 4), try typing the URL address below directly into the browser's URL box.

http: //spywarehammer.com/simplemachinesforum/index.php?board=11.0

(leave out the space after the colon)

Don't copy and paste the above; type it directly into the browser URL box. If it goes to the Rootkit Removal page, that was correct. If you get the same 403 message as before, proceed to 2) below. If you get to the Rootkit Removal page and you cannot browse to another spywarehammer page without getting the same message as before then there's a possibility that a virus is blocking access to spywarehammer and some deep scanning with AVs, SuperAntiSpyware and MalwareBytes Anti-Malware, if not more, is in order. Let us know what happened.

2) Reboot your router (turn off and then back on after 60 seconds or so). If you have a modem in front of the router turn it off after the router, then turn them back on in reverse order. Make sure the modem has booted before turning on the router. Let the router boot and try the spywarehammer site again using your normal methods. Let us know what happened.

3) Failing 2) above, close your browser, open a command box and type "ipconfig /flushdns" without the quotation marks and hit <enter>. It will say whether or not the cache was flushed. Try the site again. If the cache did not flush, let us know. If you still cannot access spywarehammer, let us know.

4) Look in the folder "c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc" and see if your HOSTS file has the same 'modified' date as other files in that folder. If the HOSTS file has a recent date, it may have been modified by a virus to block access to spywarehammer. Let us know what you find. (You may have to use Explorer to show system and hidden files and file extensions---I can't remember. If any problems with this, ask.)

If none of the above worked, when you post back give us some basic details on your OS, computer, etc., as well as what happened in all the steps above.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2012
  3. gamegodessss

gamegodessss Private E-2

I followed each step to the T and got the same 403 error message each time. When i tried to flush dns the black box popped up and poofed so fast, I couldnt see what it did. The host file was dated the same as all other files in that folder. I have an emachine ET1810-03r with windows 7 home premium 64 bit, an acer laptop with same OS and a compaq with same OS. I am using the laptop right now. All three systems give the same 403 error forbidden when trying to access spywarehammer or any page past their home page I should say. My emachine is down. I have another post in your hardware section of this forum regarding that issue.

4. kipfeet

kipfeet Corporal

OK...bummer about your lack of success with this. Good news, though, that your HOSTS file hasn't been modified.

Let's try the cache flushing another way so you can see what is happening: Start>Run and type cmd into the Run box and press <enter>. This will open a Command window. At the prompt in the window type "ipconfig /flushdns". Now you should be able to see what it says.

If the flush is successful, let's try renewing your IP address: At the prompt in the same command box type "ipconfig /release" and hit <Enter>. Then type "ipconfig /renew" and hit <Enter>. If you get any errors, write down what they say. Then close the command window and go back and try step 2) again in my first post.

Since you have had the problem with 3 different computers I would think the problem has to lie in the modem and/or router or your ISP....or... for some reason the website has blocked you. "403 forbidden" literally means that the server that you tried to get to has denied your access. I'm not sure that your ISP, if it's blocking your request somehow, would return a "403 forbidden" message. Is there an alternate way you can contact the website and call or email them to see what's up?

Only other possiblity I can think of is malware somehow causing the problem. Deep (full) scans with a good and up-to-date Anti-Virus and SuperAntiSpyware and Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and repairs with those might be in order. If nothing is amiss with those scans, then that at least mostly eliminates baddies as causing the problem. I would think, though, that if you had an infection of some sort that there would be other symptoms besides a 403-forbidden message on one site only.

Maybe some IP-protocol geeks will jump in with some better ideas than mine.

5. gamegodessss

gamegodessss Private E-2

I tried emailing them and the email it comes up with for bamajam has a bunch of numbers behind his name and it comes back as unknown

6. gamegodessss

gamegodessss Private E-2

not sure if this is an error but it says media state media disconnected

7. gamegodessss

gamegodessss Private E-2

ok I dont know if this will have anything to do with this but my computer that is down had or might have still a trojan zlob.exe and pkinstall.exe

8. gamegodessss

gamegodessss Private E-2

I ou said to do above and now I cannot access anything. I am on my third computer. my laptop cannot go back online. it just says explorer cannot display the webpage. I cant even get google

9. kipfeet

kipfeet Corporal

Re: your posts 6 and 7...

For "media disconnected" that may or may not be a problem. What did you type just before seeing that message?

Open a command window again (Start>Run and type cmd and press enter. At the prompt type "ipconfig /all>c:\ipconfig-all.txt" and press enter. That will create a text file in the root of your C:\drive named ipconfig-all.txt that shows your IP configuration. Attach it to your next post (don't copy the file's contents into the post). Perhaps that will help others who are reading this and they may spot something.

Re: the infection on your other computer, yes, it could have infected the one we're talking about, too, if the computers are networked or there have been memory sticks passed between the two. I suggest you take the time to run the scans I mentioned in my previous post and we'll go from there. :)

10. kipfeet

kipfeet Corporal

Hmm....just saw your post #8.

Don't worry. All will be well. :)

Please be more specific. Exactly which ipconfig command did you type to cause the new problem accessing the internet? Which of the three, or did it happen after all three? If you got to ipconfig /renew it sometimes takes a few minutes for your IP address to be renewed. FYI, I can type all the ipconfig commands at will on my computer and everything works just fine.

I suggest doing this:

Shut down your computer. Then shut down your router. Then shut down your modem if you're on a cable modem. Wait 5 minutes. Turn on your cable modem (if you have one) and allow it to boot and connect (wait 2-3 minutes). Then turn on your router and allow it to boot and connect (wait 2-3 minutes). Then turn on your computer and allow it to fully boot before trying to run anything. Now see if you have internet. Let us know what happens.

11. gamegodessss

gamegodessss Private E-2

ok its all good. i restarted and its back online but im still getting the 403 forbidden. About that, in the 403 error messege it gives me the option to email admin about the problem. When I click on it, it opens windows live but in the send to the email address it has for administration looks exactly like this,

admin~n0spam[at]n0spam~bamajim~[d0t]~com

to say the least, it wont send it out...... wierd huh

btw- I did all three things as you suggested, one at a time. and yes, i have a router and modem. its satelite

Last edited: Feb 25, 2012
  12. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

Try replacing the bold with @ and the underscored with .

13. gamegodessss

gamegodessss Private E-2

HTTP ERROR 403 FORBIDDEN

You don't have permission to access

/simplemachinesforum/index.php?board=11.0 on this server.

Your computer may be infected with a virus or a trojan. The Firewall has determined that you: Invalid ip!

If you get this message in error, please contact the ADM1N and provide the date and time of this message.

Ok i copied and pasted this from the url. The virus part wasnt there last i seen. I downloaded super antispyware and malwarebites and updated both and ran full scans nothing was found except a couiple tracking cookies that super antispyware fixed. I did the above, replaced etc with a @ and etc with a dot and it sent out my mail so hopefully it went to the right people. I really appreciate all you guiys have done to help me out so far. Thank you very much. I hope this is fixable. Im wondering if maybe its a registry entry but I really have no clue.

14. satrow

Perhaps the server has IP block filtering and your satellite IP falls into a blocked range of IP addresses?

By the way, the area of the forum you're trying to access only contains 3 messages and 8 replies (from what I see), the last being dated to March 31, 2011.

Wild guess > the 403 might be triggered by something in your browser string? Visit this page and copy the line at the following section:
    See your HTTP user agent ID
    Your browser user agent ID: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx < then paste it in a reply please.

15. gamegodessss

gamegodessss Private E-2

I was trying to get any page to open, the one your referring to is not the page I wanted. If you know what I mean.

Im not sure I understand what you want me to do at that page you asked me to go to.

16. satrow

On that page you should see:

Your Current Browser User Agent ID
    See your HTTP user agent ID
    Your browser user agent ID: This is where your user agent string is, please copy and paste it into your reply.

Attached Files:

17. gamegodessss

gamegodessss Private E-2

Ok, you want me to go to the above page and it will give me my current browser user agent ID. is this correct? cuz if it is, my browser isnt even listed anywhere on that page so how can it be my browser ID? Or am I still not understanding your request?

18. satrow

The page should list your exact browser id where the red line section is on the picture I posted.

19. gamegodessss

gamegodessss Private E-2

Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; MSIE 9.0; Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; Trident/5.0)

Is this what you want? I use IE...

20. satrow

Yes, that's it thanks, I see nothing unusual about it but that only checks a small part of what their server can.

Are you sure this PC is clean now? If not, please do the Read & Run and post the logs in a new Thread over in the Malware forum to get checked out.

21. gamegodessss

gamegodessss Private E-2

Okay, I will do as you suggest. Thank you for your time and efforts as I appreciate it very much.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds