Huawei dongle's connection keeps dropping off with a usb cable

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bl734, Dec 16, 2013.

1. bl734

bl734 Private E-2

I am trying to use a Huawei E3256 dongle in my laptop for my broadband. The mobile broadband signal is rubbish in my room, so I put the dongle in another room where the signal is better, and connect it with a USB cable.

However, when I do that, the connection keeps dropping off, which do NOT happen when I directly plug the dongle into my laptop. I have tried different usb cables and extention cables, and the result is still the same. Would anyone know how to fix this? Many thanks.

My laptop's OS is Vista and 3 is the mobile network I am trying to connect to, if this is any help.

2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

How long is the USB cable? Are you aware of the limits of USB cables?

3. bl734

bl734 Private E-2

Thanks for your reply. I have tried both the 2-meter and the 5-meter types; neither works. :confused

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds