Hubby can't get into Internet...

Discussion in 'Software' started by ®KIM, Apr 14, 2008.

1. ®KIM

®KIM Private First Class

Hello after a long time!

Got a bit of a sticky problem. Hubby and I have identical machines (HP), networked, virtually identical software and programmes - something almost like the "terrible twins!"

We are networked, and until a few days ago hubby had no problem calling up the internet sites that he likes visiting, but suddenly he can't do so - when he clicks on an address, he gets an IP address (I THINK that's what those figures at the bottom are called? Something like 196.55......etc) Eventually a message comes up in blue - the usual "cannot find .... not connected to internet..." etc. I have no problem logging onto any site (my being here is proof of that).

Now, the funny thing is that when I do a system restore on his machine - just setting it back to a day earlier, then one can call up any internet address, but after a restart it's back to square one.

I also did AV and Windows Defender scans to see whether there were any hidden bugs, did a complete scandisk - everything comes up clean, so it's a complete mystery.

Any ideas/thoughts on the matter?

Would appreciate some advice!

Thanks in anticipation!

2. thesmokingun

thesmokingun MajorGeek

u using windows xp? or vista? i would try running home networking wizard to see if it fixes it (i think vista has something similar as well)

double check the connections, and also, are you wired? or wireless? if wired, make sure the lights on the router (1,2,3, etc) are lit up. also, if you know your way around your router settings, check to see what devices/computers are showing up in the status window (attached).

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds