Hughes internet???

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by lego126, Jan 22, 2010.

1. lego126

lego126 DJ's Geeky Dad

I recently moved to a rural area, and am having trouble finding a ISP. Comcast was my former ISP, and it is not avaliable here. I have tried everyone I can think of and the only thing I can find is Hughes satellite and Verizon. I have never had satellite internet, but it is REALLY expensive. http://consumer.hughesnet.com/plans.cfm
    My comcast as 6MB, but there is no way I can afford Hughes 5MB. I can try to 1.2MB, it's better than nothing. I can get one of those Verizon USB cards, but there is a 5G download limit per month, and I am not sure if there are different speed packages to choose from. I am using a friends Verizon USB card right now, and it is only connected at 230KBPS. And believe me, it is SLOW. My question is, does anyone have advice or maybe have Hughes, or Verizon, and maybe offer me feedback on the service? I read 1 post earlier about installation issues from Hughes, but I am more concerned about the internet service. Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated. I am still baffled by Hughes 5MB internet price. rolleyes
    Oh and here are verizons plans
    http://www22.verizon.com/Residential/HighSpeedInternet/Plans/Plans.htm

2. lego126

lego126 DJ's Geeky Dad

I'm wrong, I am not eligible for Verizon high speed. I am only eligible for Verizon mobile-broadband. So I am stuck with Hughesnet, at 1.2MB. I frequent online games, like DDO, (Dungeons and Dragons Online), and since the ISP would be satellite, would the latency be a issue?

3. collinsl

collinsl MajorGeek

1.2MB on a satellite connection is not recommended for games. You would be lucky to get 0.5MB from a satellite connection in my opinion unless your new property is at the top of a mountain above the weather.

4. JustAnotherDude

JustAnotherDude Private E-2

HughesNet has frequent periods of no connectivity, and their bandwidth is rarely if ever what they claim. Granted, my experience is limited to a small number of people (4) I know who use the service because, like you, they live in the boonies. But they all complain about the same issues, AND about how expensive it is.

Buy a nice DSLR and start getting out more. It's a fun hobby, and you'd be a lot less likely to be hit by a digital worm.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds