hundreds of hosts files mysteriously showed up in Counterspy...

Discussion in 'Software' started by DAdabomb, Mar 4, 2008.

1. DAdabomb

DAdabomb Private E-2

I just noticed that there are suddenly hundreds of Windows host files listed in Counterspy in the My PC Explorer sections. I pretty sure there used to be only one or two of those there. There is a way to permanently remove these hosts, but manually and one-by-one (no time for that). First, I'd like to know how they got there so I can ensure that it doesn't happen again. Are they harmful? Then how to remove them. I am constantly running spyware and virus checks, and I haven't been alerted to any problems. What gives?

I run Windows XP Professional; I use Kaspersky Internet Suite and Counterspy.

This is an example of one of the "new" entries:

123topsearch.com
    IP Addressee 127.0.0.1

The host, 123topsearch.com, is mapped to your local loopback address. A local loopback address is a special Internet address, 127.0.0.1, defined by the Internet Protocol. A host can use local the loopback address to send messages to itself. This means that any web browsing to the host 123topsearch.com will actually be redirected to your computer.

I'd appreciate any help.

2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

You do not want to remove those. A loopback means that if you try to go to a known bad site, such as 123topsearch, CS will protect you from going there.
    Those host file listings are for your protection.

3. DAdabomb

DAdabomb Private E-2

Thanks plodr. Counterspy has responded, but their suggestions on how to remove has not worked (I guess that is a good thing); plus they did not mention that I might not want to remove these items. I suppose CS is doing it's job. Thanks again.

4. DAdabomb

DAdabomb Private E-2

Thanks so much VTMFan. I found that file and opened it in Notepad. Every line does begins with 127.0.0.1, so that works. The last line of that hosts file is: "# End of entries inserted by Spybot - Search & Destroy". I guess this file is updated by Spybot S&D. Now, in CounterSpy I have permanently deleted a few of these hosts files. Hopefully I am still protected from those few in Spybot. Thanks again.

5. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

DAdabomb, do not change, remove or delete entries from CounterSpy. If you aren't happy with CounterSpy, then remove it from your computer but don't cripple it by second-guessing what should and should not be included.
    Not every program uses the same set of definitions. That's why security people tell you to run several but not more than one with real time monitoring. I run CounterSpy, AVG and SpywareBlaster. I don't remove files from any of them.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds