Hyperlinks In Posts Turning Into Vigilink Redirects

Discussion in 'Majorgeeks Welcome Center' started by MaxTurner, May 22, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

A number of posters have placed seemingly useful links that when clicked on are redirected to Vigilink site.
    A member sent me a private conversation message to say some of my links in posts have gone the same way.
    I have now used NoScript to mark several of these sites, including Vigilink - that MajorGeeks sadly allows to feed into it - as completely untrusted. It's annoying beyond belief that so much crap script gets injected unless extensions like AdBlock and NoScript are used.

2. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Issue sent to Tim.

3. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

Show me one.

4. TimW

5. TimW

6. harmless

harmless Staff Sergeant

7. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

Since I marked Vigilink as an untrusted site in NoScript in FIREFOX there is no longer any redirection to that site in links. However, in Opera, IE, Edge and Chrome (without that extension installed) all those examples above redirect to Vigilink.
    Without any shadow of doubt, Vigilink when allowed to run in script is acting as a form of Malware.

Last edited: May 23, 2017
  8. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

FWIW...
    None of the links have redirected me to VigLink.
    In Internet Explorer I use Tracking Protecting Lists and Avast! Online Security.
    In Mozilla Firefox I only use uBlock Origin.

DavidGP likes this.
  9. harmless

harmless Staff Sergeant

every link i post now, i need to check first.
    most people don't use script blockers.
    and it just gives a funny feeling not to go where you expect to go.
    it's basically a trust issue, which is paramount on the internet now a days.

2 more:

https://www.powermax.com/about-us/
    https://www.macsales.com/

10. Major Attitude

Well, I guess we'll close and get jobs.

11. Major Attitude

I'm sorry if ads bother you. We're BARELY scraping by as it is. I really can't be concerned with people who are geeks, yet can't see OBVIOUS text ads. The internet isn't free and some day you'll be forced to deal with ONLY large websites just like todays Walmart, Home Depot Bed, Bath & Beyond, etc. It's already starting with ad blockers allowing ads if they're paid off by Google and the big boys.

12. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Looked at this today and dont get any URL links going to Vigilink, is this an issue with something else as in an addon in browser as I tend to use MG with Firefox Nightly and no issues. Love to see ehat the cause link is. Adverts I dont mind on the pages as we get them in everything even in gmail, yahoo, MS mail, all search engines.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds