I accidentally deleted i804prt.sys; please help.

Discussion in 'Software' started by DSC, Jan 11, 2012.

1. DSC

DSC Private E-2

I got a virus, which seems like a FakeAV, ran my Sophos antivirus scan, in the quarantine was an item called ZAKmem-A, sophos said the only solution was to manually remove the item i804prt.sys, so i did. It didn't work so i restarted in safe mode. Now it's obvious to me that was big mistake because i can no longer log in to the computer. Is there any way to undo this damage without losing all of my memory?

2. tgell

tgell Major Geek Extraordinaire

I believe the file you are referring to is I8042prt.sys which is your ps2 keyboard and mouse driver. If the file was named i804prt.sys then that was probably malware. I assume you cannot log in because you do not have a keyboard or mouse, correct? You may indeed have a virus. Try attaching a USB mouse and keyboard. You may be able to log in.

If a USB keyboard and mouse is not available, you can recover your data using Puppy linux. Download Puppy linux and burn the iso file with Imgburn. Then boot the CD and copy but not move the files to an external hard drive. What OS are you using?

3. DSC

DSC Private E-2

my system is windows vista on a toshiba laptop. I might have gotten the file name wrong. It sounds like the one you're talking about. I can no longer type anything with my keyboard. Are you saying that if I use a usb keyboard, it will work? Thank you for the help.

4. tgell

tgell Major Geek Extraordinaire

Yes, it might work because that driver is for PS2 mouse and keyboard. Hopefully you can borrow a USB keyboard from someone and see if it works. I think you were infected and still may be infected but see if the keyboard works. If you cannot get a USB keyboard then try transferring your files with Puppy linux.

Recover files from Windows Vista hard disk using Puppy Linux

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds