I am looking for backup and imaging software

Discussion in 'Software' started by MistressRene, Apr 14, 2008.

1. MistressRene

MistressRene Private First Class

Hiya!
    Does anyone know of great hard drive backup/imaging software that is easy to use?

I have tried Acronis and I hated it!
    I also tried Winbackup. Didn't care for it either.
    TIA!

2. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

You don't get easier than Acronis, I'm afraid. Not for free anyway.

What was wrong with these apps? Maybe we can help you get past your problems with them??? Just a thought.

3. MistressRene

I didn't like the fact that Acronis created it's own little hard drive space for 1,
    then when I tried to remove it, it would not remove.

I don't care of it's free or not. I will buy a good software!
    I just want something that is reliable.
    The Winbackup I didn't think, worked correctly.
    It would hang on my C drive, then quit.
    (that was a really long time ago).

I have never used "Ghost". Is that fairly good?
    I know it's been around for a very long time.

4. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

You mean it added a drive letter you couldn't remove? Or is it something else you are talking about??? I can't think of what behaviour this could be; Acronis only backs up my hard drive to file.

I might be able to help with that if we can nail down what is happening. At the risk of sounding offensive, I think you may have simply been too unfamiliar with the program. That's how it sounds at least.

Symantec Ghost is a good app that does the job, but is VERY complicated for anything more than simply cloning a drive, disc-to-disc.

I wouldn't recommend it to a home user. (Maybe now would be a good time to ask about your planned usage for this imaging application???)

I have both installed on this computer, I should be able to answer any questions you might have.

5. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Acronis makes a partition (if you ask it to) to save the backup image ...so when you crash..you can F11 to the restored backup ...and set it to do incremental backups as often as you wish ...fairly easy. :)

6. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

Tech speak aside, what you are saying is we can fix the Acronis problem for the OP?

7. MistressRene

Hi Tim!
    LTNS!
    Yes that is what Acronis did. I couldn't access that partition,
    and I couldn't remove it.
    Like I said it was a few years ago, and I have had a sour taste since then.
    -- --
    Mada_Milty:
    Right now, for my backup, I take every file on my C and physically copy it to a backup drive.
    I want something that will do that for me, so I thought the cloning, (in addition to what I am doing) would be the answer.
    Yes, a simply clone of a drive, C: disc to G: disc.

8. tym

tym Corporal

Ghost 12 is what I use. Not a fan of ghost 14. I have tried acrons. sorry that has failed me twice, I will never use it again. Ghost on the other hand, never once, and goodness knows it has saved me some work.

So short version. IMHO Hands down Nortons Ghost 12.

9. MistressRene

Kewl beans tym ... I will check it out.
    I hope it's easy to use. I lose patience easily. ha ha ha!

Hey I just thought of something ...
    Will ghost clone windows system files while they are in use?
    If I remember correctly, that was the main problem I had with Winbackup.
    There were certain files that no matter what, would not copy.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds